Mysore’s healthcare (DL)


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Karnataka » Mysore
January 22nd 2013
Published: January 22nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

For my vocational day in Mysore, three very different visits had been arranged for me. The first of these was to a 90-bed private hospital that is part of an international chain of hospitals providing world-class healthcare. It opened in 2009 and recently achieved accreditation with international standards. A community ethos is an integral value for the hospital; free / concessional clinics are offered every month. Although I have not visited a private hospital in England, the facilities, services, and operational procedures I observed and was informed about were in line with what I would expect and hope to see in any hospital.

I was slightly surprised that the hospital had only one ambulance (with access to a back-up). The emergency department was only set up with three beds, though it could accommodate six and could also use the entrance hall / waiting area in the event of a disaster (room for an additional 6 beds). If the hospital is unable to provide treatment immediately, it sends patients to its sister hospitals nearby, providing any necessary first aid before transfer.

As a private, corporate, hospital, it does not experience the same issues as government-run hospitals. For example, it is able to offer higher salaries and attract the best surgeons. It also has an effective workforce planning system to ensure that patient care does not suffer. The most impressive aspect for me was the company’s commitment to supporting its staff; time is set aside every day for staff training.

My second visit of the day was to a District Health Office where I was told that key priorities relating to maternal and child health were all improving, such as institutional deliveries, and infant and maternal mortality rates. Programmes that focus on population stabilisation also continue to be implemented. There are, however, constant challenges, such as the infrastructure and shortage of manpower for medical and specialist services.

The final visit was to an Ayurvedic Centre. I was pleased to hear that they take an integrated approach to healthcare, ensuring that guests are referred as necessary for the most appropriate form of healthcare. Everybody receives an individual assessment and their treatments and food are customised accordingly. The centre has recently started an Ayurveda cooking class for its staff and may open this up to the public in the future. Training packages are available for people who wish to achieve certification in specific Ayurveda treatments so I may well find myself back in Mysore!

Di

Advertisement



Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0968s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb