India is never as you expect (AB)


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Karnataka » Mysore
January 18th 2013
Published: January 22nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Mysore PalaceMysore PalaceMysore Palace

Illuminated weekly on Sundays from 7pm - 8pm
Just as we are thinking that Indian driving is chaotic, we come to Mysore and discover traffic lights, traffic police and CCTV cameras checking on road use. So you see traffic waiting at junctions to allow others to cross, a sight not seen in Mangalore. I must apologise to our Indian hosts if I seemed critical of their roads.

Mysore is a beautiful city, with many interesting old buildings as well as some very attractive houses, which appear to come from the Art Deco movement. There is also some innovative modern architecture. The station is housed in an attractive Victorian building, but the star is Mysore Palace.

The present palace was built in 1912 to replace the previous one, which was built in 1800 and burnt down. The current palace is full of beautiful carved doors and ceilings and interesting murals of events in the lives of the royal family. Elephants abound and gold adorns palanquins. We were lucky enough to see the palace lit up on Sunday evening where from 7pm - 8pm each week 1000's of people gather to watch the switch on. It was quite amazing and certainly gave Blackpool illuminations a run for their money!!!
Prince of Mysore's personal collection of taxidermyPrince of Mysore's personal collection of taxidermyPrince of Mysore's personal collection of taxidermy

Most of these animals were killed in the 40's & 50's. Impressive sight up close as so realistic!
Later in the week we also took part in a special guided tour of the palace which allowed us access to secret rooms not open to the public. Parts of the architecture reminded us of Buckingham Palace and similar to our Queen's residence and similarly the current Prince lives behind the main building (away from tourists!!!).

The team are coping remarkably well with the exchange. They are a lively group of people, very keen to learn. They show a real interest in everything there is to learn here in Karnataka and are genuinely grateful for all that is being done for us. There is plenty of humour too; they really enjoy laughing together. All in all it is a very well chosen group of people, so congratulations are in order for the D 1190 GSE interviewing panel. David Simpson would be pleased to see what fun they enjoy.

Angie x


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Palace armouryPalace armoury
Palace armoury

Another room we had special access to which is not part of general tours. Amazing collection.


Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0526s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb