Mangalore to Calicut


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Karnataka » Mangalore
March 5th 2008
Published: March 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We woke up in our 'suite' to find a monstrous spider lurking in the corner. We are talking the size of my hand!! We also found web trailing accross the rope that Mark and Dale had used to string up their mozzy nets. We went out to find breakfast, no easy task it seemed! After walking for ages we found a restaurant that served food and sat down. Looking through the menu we found to our surprise that although food was available there was nothing to drink apart from alcohol! not even a bottle of water, and it was 9 in the morning! We left and found somewhere else.

We then hopped onto the 2.30 train from Mangalore to Calicut which was great, only took five hours and the views were amazing. We got off the train at about 7 and took a taxi into the centre of town to find a place to stay. Easier said than done. We were dropped outside a large hotel called the Hyson Heritages, a very nice three star hotel with prices that matched this. We made a decision to find somewhere cheaper. Cue a very long walk along a busy street with all
Mangalore to CalicutMangalore to CalicutMangalore to Calicut

View from the train!
our bags on. Surprisingly the first hotel was full, which hasn't happened to us yet i believe, as was the second....and third. Another hotel we reached told us there was no room whilst blatantly giving a room to an indian gentleman we had walked in with, not to mention the wall full of keys behind the reception!! With every hotel 'full' and everyone directing us to the Hyson hotel we gave up the fight and took a rickshaw back to the hotel, well two rickshaws, Mine immediately zoomed off into a very narrow, very dark alley and Mark and Dales sped out onto the fully lit street with plenty of people/witnesses on it! Another curious thing is that all the restaurants in Calicut seem to be called Hotels, not confusing at all!!Arriving safely back at the hotel where we had started an hour before was a relief and we checked into a budget non a/c room at great cost. Dinner was in the hotel that night as we were too tired to go out again. We tucked into a buffet dinner and congratulated ourselves on roughing it around the world.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.037s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb