Shravanabelagola - it is all about the world's tallest monolithic statue, and it is naked ;-)!


Advertisement
Asia » India » Karnataka » Hassan
December 31st 2014
Published: January 28th 2015
Edit Blog Post

After our "shithole experience" in Halebid (read in our last blog entry), we did not feel like staying overnight in another pilgrimage town. Furthermore, the sleeping options in Shravanabelagola sounded, well let's say, limited. Most of the guesthouses are for pilgrims and are rented by the local jain organisation for as little as 210 rupees for a double. So we made the trip to Shravanabelagola fr... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

the landscape around Shravanabelagolathe landscape around Shravanabelagola
the landscape around Shravanabelagola

loved the frangipani tree
Muni Bhadrabahu CaveMuni Bhadrabahu Cave
Muni Bhadrabahu Cave

padukas (footprints)



28th January 2015

Very Nice
Good blog. I had been there myself. I think that that statue was carved out of a single granite rock some time in 900 AD, but I think the project started in 600 or so AD. Also, there is the hill where Chandragupta Maurya fasted to death in around 300 BC. I think he was the emperor of much of India and he had defeated one of Alexanders generals and had married the general's daughter to seal the peace and to increase trade with Greece. So that place has a lot of really interesting history.
30th January 2015
feet of the Gomateshwara statue in Shravanabelagola

Great adventures off the beaten path!
How lovely that you are exploring these places of spiritual energy, even though here and in your last blog, it's been clear that being in a meditative state in these spaces is nearly impossible in modern, crowded, not-so-spiritual India. Glad you're feeling better, Nina, and best wishes for the rest of your journey. Namaste.
30th January 2015
feet of the Gomateshwara statue in Shravanabelagola

Namasta
Thank you Tara!
7th February 2015

Sacred places with special energy
I'm thrilled your health is better and you are exploring again. Has your illness impacted your need and desire to visit more spiritual places or would that have evolved naturally anyway? You look so happy sitting down to your vegan meal. We look forward to meeting you. I got a chuckle at your t-shirt idea. Thanks again for another great blog.
7th February 2015

Well, let's say that I realised through my illness that there is something else inthe world than career, party and travelling ;-). I got in touch with sprituality and met a very impressive person. It helped me during my healing time and I sometimes even feel better than before now. And the rest is pure curiosity :-). We are looking foward to meeting you as well!!!!!!!
26th February 2015

Temple Architecture in Karnataka
Hi, I am glad that you enjoyed some beautiful places in Karnataka, and dwelt more on the positives than the negatives. I also appreciate ancient sculpture whether in India or overseas. I was born and brought up in Bengaluru but now live overseas. Over the last few years I also (re-) visited Somnathpur, Belur, Halebid, Shravanabelagola, Hampi, Badami, Aihole, Pattadakal etc and had a great time. I am pretty sure you will thoroughly enjoy Badami, AIhole, and Pattadakal as these are 6th century temples. Best to stay in Hampi or Hospet and visit these as day tours. You may check out my Flickr albums on these and other places if you wish by googling "halappa ashoka flickr" (I cannot put any links here)
26th February 2015

Thank you
Thanks for your comment and the suggestions! Hampi and Badami is already on our list. But we have to postpone it for later. In the meantime we are back home. But in 1 or 2 years, we will be back. Happy travels to you!
2nd April 2015

Great post.
Hi Nina and Markus, I’ve always avoided pilgrimage places too, but I must mention that after reading your blog about Shravanbelogola I’m intrigued. As a parent I want to take my kids to places which offer entertainment, but this place looks like it can offer both culture and fun. Thank you for the info. Cheers!

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0282s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb