Hysteria at Hampi


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Karnataka » Hampi
January 24th 2015
Published: February 27th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Hampi, the ancient capital of the Vijayanagara empire is in ruins in North Karnataka. My cousin, her daughter and I decided it is a must see and jumped into the train headed north from Bangalore.

I had booked air-conditioned railway seats but whole night I was wondering if I did indeed because it never worked. I observed my cousin wrapped up in blanket. It was all in anticipation of coming cool air 😊

We arrived at Hampi in early hours. A co passenger kindly offered us a lift to the main town centre. We booked into a budget hotel, freshened up and ventured to see the ruins. It was very hot. We drank water like fish but it was not enough. Apparently all government approved guides were taken. We looked around into the carvings, temples and other ruins like aliens not making a head or tail. Finally, we took an auto rickshaw driver as guide and he took us around and explained the main monuments of attraction.

The city was once magnificent and prosperous ruled by the Deva Raya kings. It had glorious rock cut Hindu and Jain temples, royal baths, elephant stable, market places and gorgeous gates among others. The Vitthal temple with musical pillars made of rock is simply unique. The carvings in the temple were exquisite showing daily life of the people, trading of horses with white Europeans, mythological animals and stories from Ramayana and Mahabharat. This place is apparently the birthplace of monkey god, Hanuman and was formally called Kishkinda. The market place with miles forgotten shops which sold gold-silver jewellery in return of horses must have been splendid. Vijayanagar empire was rich and envy of its neighbouring kingdoms who finally destroyed it.

It was Basanti Panchami or day of Saraswati (goddess of learning) pooja (worship). As per Bengali custom, from this day onwards we start eating crunchy jujube berries! Indeed, we bought some and munched our way to Tungabhadra dam. The vast expanse of water in the reservoir appealed like an ocean for a quick swim. The catchment area had been built into agricultural fields and recreation area for children. An ideal picnic spot.

Since our return train tickets did not get confirmed, we bought local bus tickets which hopped and jumped very badly. I guess, it ensured that bus drivers do not sleep at the expense of poor passengers!

These historical places had attained unimaginable heights in different points of history that we were left awestruck. Even the elephants stables were magnificent. If elephants had such a great life, I am sure humans had an awesome time too.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0792s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb