On top of the World!!!!


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Jammu & Kashmir » Ladakh » Nubra
June 30th 2011
Published: September 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Nubra is a high altitude dessert located 150 km from Leh. The drive to Nubra is an expedition by itself crossing the Khardung La Pass, the highest motorable road in the world. It is essential to leave early in the morning if you want to avoid getting stuck behind the army convoy of trucks. The climb up to Khardung La was not quite pleasant as the terrain is difficult to maintain good roads. Khardung is located at approx. 18,380 Ft. above sea level. However the bumpy roads did not stop us from absorbing every inch of beauty around us.

Passing valleys of grazing Yak and then the army camp mid-way to Khardung La top to watching the sun hide behind heavy clouds followed by the snow fall later the whole drive was beyond belief. I must say that timing was perfect for it started snowing as we reached the top. And the roads were engulfed by the clouds with zero visibility. Having a skilled driver to climb this pass is a must as the roads are narrow and they follow the contours of the hills.

A we reached the Kardung La Top we were welcomed by a board that read “Welcome to Khardung La, the Highest Motor-able road in the World". Many bikers cheered as they reached the top. The temperature here was below zero with the sudden snowfall; it added a dramatic climax to the trip. The pit stop has a small tea shop that serves the most delicious cinnamon tea and Maggie noodles. After refueling ourselves it was time to descend down into the Nubra valley. The descend felt longer and more tiresome than the climb. Once we were on flat land the drive was smooth. It was fascinating to read all the signboards along the way. Some were hilarious. One of them read "Love thy neighbor, but not on the road". and another one read " Be soft on my curves".

Half an hour before we got into Hundar we passed the plains covered with shiny white sand. Surprisingly enough there were many sand dunes as one would see in a dessert. It was just sand as far as one could see but the difference was that this sand was in between the snow-capped hills. We were already on to the Nubra dessert. One could see the Double Humped Bactrian camel here.

Upon reaching Nubra we were taken to our camp site. Our camp was located in a picturesque location with a stream running just outside our tents and a backdrop of shiny brown rock that measured a few thousand feet. We reached Nubra for lunch, after lunch followed by a nice siesta we headed for a camel ride and a short trek into the dessert. It was the perfect camp with a bon fire, a local Ladhaki playing the guitar under the twilight.

Our camp caretaker was very hospitable and fulfilled our wish of dining the Ladhaki cuisine. Their cuisine is very simple; they normally have a dish called the “Skew” which is more like a crossover between pasta and a vegetable stew, some salad and rice with dal if required. The tribes in the Nubra area are strict vegetarians; nonetheless the “Skew” was fabulous and rather heavy. Dinner was followed by a round of cards in the moonlight and then to our tents for a night under the stars. I must mention here that the camps had impeccably clean toilets and bathrooms.

Started the morning with a hot cup of tea, followed by a trek into the countryside. Post breakfast we set forth on our return journey to Nubra. On the way visited the Deskit monestry where you can see the massive "Preacher Buddha" overlooking the valley. The Shyok river passes through this valley. It is known as the river of death as it floods and destroys the villages near by. We ended our journey passing the Khardung La pass and down to Leh.

Another beautiful day which left us with memories to be treasured for a lifetime.







Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



11th December 2011
Camels

Leh : proud of India
very beautiful snap. close to nature and heart too

Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0528s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb