Himalayan India


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Jammu & Kashmir » Ladakh » Leh
June 22nd 2008
Published: June 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday 18 June

We drove to Stok 10km south of Leh, passing over a bridge over the river Indus that was so festooned with prayer flags we couod not see the river whilst on the bridge.

Stok is a pleasant village, a green oasis set in a valley between the barren mountains, with Stok Palace looking down over it from a rocky mound.

Stok Palace was built in 1840 & is the residence of the Ladakh Royal Family. The last king died in 1974 but his elderly widow still lives in part of the palace. There is a museum displaying some of the fabulous royal jewellry many made with gold, silver, turquoise & coral. There are 35 16th Century Thangkas representing the life of Buddha & a sword twisted into a knot supposedly by the enormous strength of Tashi Namgyal, a 16th Century King, to deter his would be attackers.

We visited a small monastery in Stok but it was desserted as the monks were all in Leh to celebrate a religious festival. It was an odd collection of buildings added on at different times with narrow passageways in between.

We had lunch with a Ladakh family in a 170 year old Tibetan style house. We started with salt butter tea, a local favourite but just tasted like butter to me although it looked like tea. Next we had momas, vegetable stuffed dumplings, with thukpa, a thick vegetable soup, followed by vegetable curry. The family were very welcomimg & we ate with them in their large kitchen which had a large decorated stove in the middle & shelves full of shinning pots of all sizes.

We strolled up the valley to let our lunch settle while we enjoyed the views of the mountains all around.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0502s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb