Rotang Pass


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Jammu & Kashmir » Ladakh » Leh
December 26th 2006
Published: January 31st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Foot hill of Rotang PassFoot hill of Rotang PassFoot hill of Rotang Pass

The climb to the high mountain pass starts here.

Rohtang pass is at 4000 meters high and Great place for winter sport holidays - full of snow and mind bending scenarios. The huge mountains peppered with snow flakes make a majestic vistas for the weary traveler. Great canyons at their deep floors are amazing to appreciate - makes one so small and humble. The journey took about 2 hours to reach up there. What a journey - great experience at the extremes, at one end the sheer beauty of the place took me by amazement and the other end the terrible and miserable pot-holed road making the journey a bone crunching nightmare willing me to end it all at once !

Dangerous drive up the snowy and slippery road

First we went by our normal van. But at one point it couldn't go any further due to snow fall. So had to hire a four wheel jeep - a typical rugged and rickety vehicle. The driver wore a hat like the UK's Napalies Goorka regiment cap and looked like a Goorka too. He took us confidently to the top in his 'Gypsy Jeep' - a small and rugged suzuki vehicle. All along we over took other cars
Foot hill of Rotang PassFoot hill of Rotang PassFoot hill of Rotang Pass

Fog shrouded Solang Valley. Indication of very cold hill tops ahead.
and vans who had rather foolishly ventured into this snowy and slippery road dangerously skidding helter-skelter. The road was very narrow and had no barrier on its side - so one bad skid you can find yourself hurtling down the steep mountain side. What a stupid risk to take. But somehow fortunately there were no accidents.

Point Zero

At the top - they call it 'zero point' - there is a vast expanse of snow filled Plato for snowmobiling and skiing. Winter sport is still in its infancy in India. So the skiing was nothing but a mockery of the great Spanish Pyrenees mountains. Couple of guys carry a ski slide with them and charge you 50 quid for a 5 minutes skiing ! And that's it - not even a bit of taste of skiing. Ridiculous indeed. However it is rather be that way though because if someone breaks their leg in skiing - God bless them. By the time they will reach hospital through all that bone crunching, pot-holed road they will be in hell. Mind you, the breath taking scenery makes up for what is lacking in skiing.

Magnificent vistas

Snow draped landscape
Foot hill of Rotang PassFoot hill of Rotang PassFoot hill of Rotang Pass

Shops for hiring fur coats before you go to Rotang pass. They hire long coats and wellington shoes.
with pure white background, its crisp and clear atmosphere with pristine blue sky - makes such a beautiful and magnificent vistas to take your breath away. We all stood there captivated and enthralled by the magnificent nature at its best.

Snow-mobiles and sliding tubes

The snow was about ankle high and thick. Still soft and not hard enough for skiing yet. However soft snow is great to make a snow-ball and throw at each other. No wonder the kids lapped it all up by rolling, somersaulting and bashing each other with snow balls.

There were couple of snow-mobiles sliding effortlessly on the snow. My mom and dad enjoyed the snow-mobile. If you can not afford the snow-mobile then there was even a snow-sledge chair on offer - a muscular guy pushes you while you are seated on it for about 10 minutes. And there was another guy offering a slide down hill on a large truck's rubber tube. And you know what - that was the most enjoyable of all and he had a que. Talk about business acumen - making the most money with absolutely no investment !

King of the world on top of
On the way upOn the way upOn the way up

Snow topped mountians comming into view as we climb up.
the world !

As I had caught head cold - I could not do anything due to tiredness. Everyone was engaged in some physical stuff - So I took a solitary walk on the top of the world with winds gently howling on my ears. Sheer bliss. I felt like screaming 'King of the world on the top of the world' - and you know what, as there was no one around - I did scream that as loud as I could !!! That reminds me the "Beautiful South" band's song -'sometimes you feel expensive, sometimes you feel so cheap.....You can roam the street of the king while everyone else is sleep'. When no one was around I was truly roaming the streets of the paradise. Great.

After two hours we rather begrudgingly started the decent. Who can blame us.


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Icy and frozen roads Icy and frozen roads
Icy and frozen roads

The begining of the icy roads we encountered. It was slippery and slithery to drive. The van we traveled started to slid a lot raising concerns and worry about the journey ahead.
Treacherous roadTreacherous road
Treacherous road

At this point we had to stop our van and hire a 4 wheeler to climb up. The ice and snow on the road made it very dangerous to trave further by van.
Treacherous roadTreacherous road
Treacherous road

At this point we had to stop our van and hire a 4 wheeler to climb up. The ice and snow on the road made it very dangerous to trave further by van.
Don't be a Gama on a Treacherous roadDon't be a Gama on a Treacherous road
Don't be a Gama on a Treacherous road

Warning signs on the way to drive carefully.
Skiers on the waySkiers on the way
Skiers on the way

These fellows offer a taste of sking on the snow topped mountains. Sking as a sport is in its infancy in India. May be it has potential to grow as a winter sport in future.
The 'top' of the Rotang passThe 'top' of the Rotang pass
The 'top' of the Rotang pass

Its a wilderness of snow and blustery winds. A great place for winter sking on the snow.
The "Top"The "Top"
The "Top"

Its a wilderness of snow and blustery winds. A great place for winter sking on the snow.
The "Top"The "Top"
The "Top"

Welcome sign by the military which mans these areas.
Views on TopViews on Top
Views on Top

Some beatutiful scene awaits you on the top indeed.
Views on TopViews on Top
Views on Top

Some beatutiful scene awaits you on the top indeed.


4th August 2008

memories
oh man its 1973 again,your excellent photographs brought the memories flooding back.Once more I was transported instantly back to this magical part of India.Thanks bundles.I think I am going up the loft to get my photos.Thanks again.
10th August 2008

The Great Rotang
Hi..Thnx for the splendid photographs. I visited rotang back in 2001, but my legacy film camera failed to capture all these beautiful scenes that time. thnx once again for the posting.
11th August 2008

You are welcome
Hi Den, I am glad you enjoyed the photos. Rotang is a marvelous place. I will go there again for treking some time. regards, ken
11th August 2008

You are welcome
Hi Tanveer, I am glad you enjoyed the photos. Thank you for the comment. Rotang is a wonderful place indeed. Great for photos. regards, ken
28th August 2008

Good one...
Hi I am planning to go to rotang pass on oct 1st...will it be like this...or will the snow melt away..?
29th August 2008

October visit
Hi Deepika, Thank you for the comment. Rotang is a marvelous place. If you are looking for snow- perhaps late October will be good. Snow begins to fall around that time. But it will be very cold. Early October you might see bits of snow on the mountains. I am sure you will have great time. regards, ken
7th April 2009

rotang pass in mid april
hi Teman , very nice blog. I am planning a trip from April 10 to 15 in himachal pradesh , Planning to go to Rotang, will there be snow. you mentioned that the not good place for skiing . is it like tht ? Thanks, Vish
30th April 2009

Visit to Rotang on 19th May, 2009
Hi Teman, Very nice blog you have done. I am going to Rotang on 19th May, 2009. Can I see the snowfall on that day ????
3rd May 2009

Snow in May is unlikely
Hi Rana, By March end the snows are all gone. If you are lucky you might see snow in April. But in May its unlikely unless if there is a freak weather change. However, the scenaries will be beautiful in May. Wish you an enjoyable trip. ken
9th July 2009

i like rotang
very nice place
16th July 2009

ice in rotang pass
can anybody suggest about when to find ice in rotang pass
25th July 2009

Snow in Rotang pass
Any time after Late October to early February is the best time for snow. I went there in first week of November and it was pleanty of snow at that time.
15th May 2010

rotang
i am very to visit rotang .
1st June 2010

no
please inform the distance from kalka to rotang pass
3rd June 2010

CLOSING TIME OF ROTANG PASS
I KNOW THAT THE ROUTE OF ROTANG PASS IS CLOSED IN WINTER SEASON .I WANT TO KNOW WHAT IS THE ACTUAL CLOSING TIME?
6th June 2010

Road closing date
I think in the 2nd week of October. I went there in November first week to see the snow peppered NOT snow covered mountians. Best time will be last week of October and first two weeks of November to see beautiful scenes. After that the coldness is very biting and all the mountains look bland with snow everywhere. Wish you a good trip. regards, Teaman
16th August 2010

NATURAL BEAUTY
I LIKE NATURAL BEAUTY

Tot: 0.206s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 23; qc: 80; dbt: 0.1287s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb