Dinner with the Dalai Lama


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Himachal Pradesh » Mcleod Ganj
February 8th 2007
Published: February 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Finally the plains of the Indian subcontinent come colliding with the snow capped mountainous peaks of the Himalayas, and what a sight. The Himalayan range rises like a wall from the ground, and provides the perfect backdrop to the hill side Tibetan Refugee village of McLeod Ganj, home to the Dalai Lama. Now I popped in to see His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama, but to my surprise I was only to discover that he was on a retreat for the next 3 weeks and wasn’t available and was not taking an audience. Obviously I was disgusted by this and had my people ring his people to figure out where we went wrong. HH tried to reschedule but unfortunately I am a busy man and can not wait around that long. Oh well, his loss, maybe next year (he could have learnt a thing or two from a man like me).

Ok, anyway putting that behind us, McLeod Ganj is an absolutely amazing place, a mix between Tibetan Monks and Monasteries, travelers and restaurants, trekking companies and adventure sports, the only problem is its winter and there aint no one there! It seems that the north of India is a wee bit cold at the moment and for that reason, not many people visit during this time of the year. I was conveniently told that the time to come is in summer, (derrrrr) when it’s too hot on the plains and perfect in the hills. Oh well I was there now and going to make the most of it, even if the temperature was a chilly 5-8 degrees.

The landscape and setting to the this place is out of this world, with lush green forests and pine trees climbing the mountains, with the bold, mammoth peaks of the Himalayas providing a gentle reminder of where in the world you actually are. The town is more Tibetan than Indian, with local shops selling Tibetan handy crafts from sherpa hats to woolen socks and gloves. Tibetan food provides a needed change from the Indian cuisine, selling hot noodle soups and momo’s, a Tibetan steamed dumpling! It’s a home away from home for the Tibetan Refugees. Its completely different here, so relaxed and carefree, no hassles, no issues. Plus the bonus here was that with my hair cut, it was like I was a local, all I needed now was to brandish a gold and red robe and I’d be in with the Buddhist Monk Community.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Buddhist Monks Buddhist Monks
Buddhist Monks

Doing what they do best, Hangin' round.
McLeod Ganj  McLeod Ganj
McLeod Ganj

Township spread along the ridge line of the hill.
Street MarketStreet Market
Street Market

Local Tibetan selling the Buddhist flags.
Funeral ProcessionFuneral Procession
Funeral Procession

In Dharamsala in the Valley below McLeod Ganj.


Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0646s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb