The time is finally here!


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Himachal Pradesh » Dharamsala
January 6th 2014
Published: January 6th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Friday 15th November 2013

Today was a strange day, watching the clock tick by, waiting for 2.30pm to come.

2.15 and we are leaving Eastwood Place, driving to Yatton to pick Lisa up. She was ready and waiting when we arrived. So off we went, both a little nervous about what lies ahead of us.

Traffic wasn't a problem and we arrived in good time, meeting Teri (our Team Leader) at the Jet Airways check in desk. We met up with Hannah and all checked in so we could sit together.

Through Departures we met up with the rest of our group and then each went our separate ways to get something to eat and drink.

We boarded fairly quickly and were soon in the air. I fell asleep almost instantly due to my little yellow friends! The planned 8 hour sleep didn't work out though as the seats were the most uncomfortable ever and we were sat by the kitchen, which the crew decided to "spring-clean"! We landed in Delhi at 10.10am local time.



Saturday 16th November 2013

Delhi Airport is very modern and efficient - surprisingly! We all met up again and were taken to our coach which will take us to Kingston Park Hotel in Delhi for our use for the day.

We had our eyes popping and mouths dropping as we drove to our Hotel. Cars, vans, buses and bikes in their hundreds all beeping their horns and trying to overtake one another. Cows in the road, families crossing busy roads, modern shops facades and buildings looking as though they had fallen down. Families make-shift tented homes in the middle of the verges, fires lit on the side of the road, beggars - the list goes on!

We met with Sachin and Subhash, who were our Guides for the next week. Lisa, Hannah and myself shared a room and showered quickly to go out to get some food and see the local area. As we left our Hotel, a tuk-tuk driver approached and asked if we would like to go to the market the same as the other girls? I really wanted to get a drink but thought we could probably get one at the market and the others seems pretty keen, so we got in the tuk-tuk. Well, we should have known better because he was obviously on commission as he took us to a 3-storey bazaar, selling carpets, jewellery, bronze statues, etc. None of which we were interested in, so we asked him to take us back to the Hotel. We wandered around some of the streets, but we were in a commercial area and it seemed to be car repair and maintenance shops everywhere, so we returned to the Hotel and they cooked us some chips, which we washed down with Kingfishers! Ian joined us too.

We met in reception at 5pm to all have a meal together before going to the train station. The journey to the train station was horrendous as there was so much traffic around. We were actually stationary for about 10 minutes, so when we got closer a decision was made for us all to get out with our luggage and walk the rest of the way, so we wouldn't miss the train. It was traumatic, to say the least! Most of us had haversacks strapped to our front and back. And those who couldn't carry theirs were dragging them along the road. We felt like a circus show - a group of 28 people with only 7 men certainly caught everyones attention. Anyway, finally our train arrived and Teri gave us all our berth numbers. Delhi train station is nowhere near as bad as Hanoi, far less busy and noisey. I found my bunk and was surprised to learn we didn't have cabins as such, all the carriage was open with bunks out in the walkway. Mine was out in the walkway on the bottom with Debbie above me and Jane, Janet and Sheila opposite with one bunk free. We sat on our bunks and chatted for awhile whilst everyone boarded. Not long after, Howard and Nick arrived and informed Jane that Nick would take her place so she could go and be with Howard in another carriage. Jane was actually quite settled at that point, so had to make a decision. She decided to go with Howard in the end, which turned out quite well as not long after, an Indian gentleman arrived to take the fourth bunk, so it was comforting that we had Nick with us, although the Indian gentleman was very pleasant.

It wasn't long before we were all feeling sleepy, so made our beds and settled down for the night. I had to use the loo a couple of times in the night which was awful - both western and asian toilets were filthy and very smelly! We were rudely woken in the middle of the night by the guard who decided to come around to check tickets. They were all annoyed because he put on the light, but I was even more miffed as he broke wind in my face as he entered their area!! Of course, everyone found that highly hilarious when I told them!

Surpringly, I slept very well apart from every time anybody walked up the corridor, they took my curtain with them and I had to pull it back again.

Sunday 17th November 2013

We arrived in Pathankot at 6.45am and met our 4 x 4's for our journey to Dharamsala, McCleod Ganj and Bhaksu Nag. En route, we stopped for breakfast which we had al fresco. It was very good and were soon on our way again.

The scenery was simply spectacular which was just aswell because it took our minds off the terrifying driving!! Amazing how between our 7 vehicles, there were no accidents.

We could see the snow-capped HImalayas in the distance and it was breathtaking. We arrived at our Hotel in Bhaksu Nag - The Sky Heaven Resort and had our rooms allocated. I was sharing with Amanda. Our room was great, east facing with an enormous balcony, so together with Kate and Jody, we sat in the sun for awhile for catch our breaths. After a quick shower we went downstairs to meet for lunch.

We walked down into McCleod Ganj to a restaurant with a rooftop bar, which was stunning. We were drinking Kingfisher beers whilst watching eagles soar above our heads. The food was excellent and afterwards headed off to the Buddhist Monastery and the home of The Dalai Lama. The Monastery itself was very tranquil and calming with lots of places for prayer and meditation. Walking back u the road we stopped and browsed in the many colourful shops and stalls and spent our rupees. I bought a beautiful turqouise 100% yak wool shawl and some prayer flags. After a terrifying drive back up the hotel in a tuk tuk, we all met for our evening meal. We were going to a restaurant in Bhaksu Nag. The food was delicious and we had a birthday cake for Kate, but unfortunately she wasn't feeling well enough to join us. We all left fairly early to get a good nights sleep before the start of the trek tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



6th January 2014

New experiences
I enjoyed your blog. New experiences and new cultures are wonderful. Makes life worth living.

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 15; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0406s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb