5 Delhi Food Dishes you should not Miss while volunteering in India


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Haryana » Gurgaon
May 27th 2014
Published: May 27th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Delhi, being the capital of India is also considered as one of the top destinations in the country. In fact, the city receives more than 2 million people every year. There are numerous landmarks and historic monuments in the city such as the Qutub Minar, Humayun’s Tomb, Red Fort, Lodhi Gardens, Lotus Temple and many more that continually attract visitors.

Being the country’s capital, Delhi is a gourmet’s delight because it is where you can taste some of the mouth-watering dishes that are influenced by the country’s rich culture and traditions. Many visitors find it irresistible to taste some of the authentic Delhi dishes that are really unique in terms of taste, texture and appearance. While many of these dishes originate from various places in India, there are also original Delhi dishes that will surely send you craving for some more. They say that many of these dishes are fit for royalty.

If you are volunteering in India particularly in Delhi, here are top five dishes you should not miss out tasting:

1. Tandoori Chicken

Tandoori is a popular dish in North India and its surrounding places. It was named after a clay oven (tandoor) where the chicken is normally cooked. Although it is not very clear where in India did this recipe originally come from, it has now become one of the popular dishes in Delhi. You may think to skip on this one because of its popularity in other countries like in the US, but the Tandoori chicken in Delhi tastes so much more delicious and spicy. It is definitely a must-try.

2. Papri chaat

Papri chaat is a popular snack in Delhi. It is made of crispy fried wafers or papri that gives this dish its crunchy taste. Normally, the papri also comes with chickpeas, boiled potato, yogurt sauce, chaat masala, and coriander and tamarind chutneys. This dish is a combination of sweet, spicy, tangy and crunchy flavors.

3. Gol gappa

Another Delhi snack that made it to this list is the Gol gappa. It is a popular street food in Delhi made from boiled potatoes, chick peas and spices, topped with savory chutneys, and then stuffed in a hollow fried puri. It has a crunchy, saucy and spicy taste and is very satisfying.

4. Chicken changezi

This dish is actually a roasted chicken that is cooked with ginger, tomato, garlic, green chilies, onions, coriander, spices and oil. It is red in color and is very rich in flavor.

5. Raj kachori

Raj kachori is a colorful snack that is popular in northern India and in Delhi. This dish is composed of kachori, breaded balls and a wide range of ingredients including potatoes, chickpeas, moong sprouts, tomatoes, masalas, coriander, tamarind chutneys, yogurt, pomegranate seeds and a crunchy sev. All these ingredients are stuffed inside a hollow and thin crunchy fried puri. This dish is bursting with tangy, sweet and crunchy flavor that is tempting to the mouth.



When you visit Delhi, try as much authentic Delhi dishes as you can. It can be a great experience.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0482s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb