Hampi : An Immemorial Bliss


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Haryana » Faridabad
January 18th 2020
Published: January 18th 2020
Edit Blog Post

There are many historical cities in India, but there are immemorial bliss in which the past is wrapped in a unique style. I am talking about Hampi which is a UNESCO World Heritage site, located in the city of Hosapete in east-central Karnataka, India. To visit Hampi, Hosapete is the ideal place to live and to eat also. Hampi is one but stories are many. The city in itself is the jargon of folklores which has been going on for centuries. According to Ramayana, it was the Empire of King Bali named as Kishkindha where Lord Rama had come to find his wife, Sita when Demon Ravana kidnapped her. More than that, Hampi is famous as the empire of King Krishna Deva Raya who ruled here in 16th century AD. Even today, the ruins of Hampi, covering around 1400 hectares of land still exhibit a picture of flourished and illuminated empire during bygone ages.

One can make a beautiful painting within his/her eyes from the amalgamated fabric of tremendous landscape infused with architectural advancements. As the mountains are standing as the boundary wall, kept inside the group of monuments which are present on all sides of the river Tungbhadra. One
cannot measure the entire city in one visit. The ruins have more than that, not only the historical past but also to feel the serenity which is present within the temple complexes.

The journey of Hampi begins from the remnants of corridors (arcaded galleries at both sides with a pathway in between) of this city. In the past times, the vibrant markets were rushed with the merchants and the traders from distinct boundaries that came here to trade.



These corridors which are ruins now lead directly to the entrance gate of Vitthala Temple where the infamous Hampi ratha is present, now is the grace of Indian fifty rupees note. More than that, the temple is embellished with musical pillars. It is believed that during the construction of mandapa of this temple, artists were in hunt of those stones which had music in it. Even today, their melodious noise resonates in the entire Vitthala Temple.

Historically, it is believed that the fall of the empire’s prosperity, wealth and infrastructure was the invasion of Muslim Sultanates during the rule of king Aliya Rama Raya (1542-1565 CE). But who knows the past exactly. After seeing the gigantic broken sculpture of Narsimha at one part and the intact Shivlinga at the other, it looks like the reason of fall might be the conflict between Shaivites and Vaishnavites.

Even today, the past of Hampi spells travellers with inside dopes. Moreover, the architectural and technological measures are still accorded the charisma of gigantic temples and robust sculptures of idols of the great Gods and Goddesses. I heard from the travellers while their gossips that bicycle is the proficient way to trip around Hampi as it is quite cheap, adventurous and is less tiring.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0609s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb