Gujarat Road Trip part 2: Into the abyss; full culture - Patan


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Gujarat » Patan
January 31st 2014
Published: January 31st 2014
Edit Blog Post

Dec 26 2013



I've got nothing on my mind, nothing to remember

Nothing to forget and I've got nothing to regret”

Crossroads, Don Maclean



After using 'Christmas in Mt Abu' as an excuse (did we really need an excuse?) to do the magnificent ride chasing each other up and down the winding and excellent road to this otherwise over-cooked resort town, we rode on to Patan en route to Kachchh. Meant to be just a stopover, there are a few unexpected (I love the unexpected) surprises in store.

First we stop by a beautiful Jain temple. Gujarat has many and seems to be the main place for Jainism - a religious offshoot from Hinduism with some similarities to Bhuddism but much older. It teaches a path of non-violence towards all living beings and emphasizes spiritual independence and equality between all forms of life. Practitioners believe that non-violence and self-control are the means by which they can obtain liberation. Ascetic devotees battle with passions and bodily pleasures and try very hard to never kill any living thing. For long periods of time Jainism was the state religion of Indian kingdoms.There are Less than 5 million Jains in India (in a population of 1.3 billion).

Then a visit to the Ranini Vav left me speechless. This magnificent royal step well and washing place is 1,000 years old. It's basically a hole in the ground (27 metres deep, 64 long and 20 wide) and was excavated and painstakingly restored in the 1960s, having been almost completely filled with dirt and forgotten over the centuries. It is adorned by superb carvings of Hindu avatars.

A sunset ride 30 kms out of town took me to the Sun Temple which also has a step well and is related to the Konark temple in Puri but is much older.

Visiting monuments and shrines can be a bit much …. how many do you need to see? But there are just moments when I am reminded again of the vastly rich culture of India's past. Sometimes you just happen upon something that is too much for words.... and the Vav is certainly such a place.

Travelling with David (the French guy) is working out nicely. We share many things (meditation and yoga and food tastes and riding style) and seem to compliment each other as we negotiate riding and bargaining and finding our way around. So yes, still smiling. Each day feels like getting closer to the unknown reaches of Gujarat.



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jainism


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



31st January 2014

Stunning
Absolutely stunning - how can that be......Best hugs luvy - Marguerite
1st February 2014

Remarkable
I've seen step wells, I've seen temples, but these are truly something else. I have friends in Gujarat but have never been there - something I need to remedy soon!
2nd February 2014

Wow!!!
15th February 2014

You've been here!
Hello again! I see you that you have already been to Rani Ni Vav. It's lovely isn't it? I missed this blog I guess :) Take care! Best Regards PD.

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 17; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb