A Perilous Journey to South Goa that was Perilous, Too Perilous.


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Goa
December 28th 2011
Published: December 28th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We arrived at Victoria Terminus Station, Mumbai, at 4.30 am. It was a magnificent building built by the British during the colonial days. Around 2.5 million people a day pass through the station, therefore, it's a tad busy, almost, too busy?

As we walked with our backpacks through the sea of bodies asleep on the floor, a women stood holding a fish, a goat walks by, and flobingonthefloor man turned up.. we were glad to be leaving fawlty towers, and Mumbai. But there was a small problem with our ticket in that it wasn't valid yet. Although we booked and paid for it in August, the trains were so busy throughout December that our ticket was 'waitlisted', meaning, you are in a queue hoping for cancellations.

After speaking to several unhelpful ticket 'attendants', we finally gathered that the train is too full. 1000 seats, yet nobody had cancelled! We were stood on the platform, 5.05am, with the 10 hour Goa express train - leaving in 5 minutes - in front of us, and Mumbai behind us. Being stranded in Mumbai was not an attractive option, weirdmanwithstick man reiterated that. Booking another train ticket was not an option, nor was a taxi to the airport then a flight to Goa...all were fully booked. With hesitation, we boarded the train, which at that moment, was empty?

So we were properly on the blag. One good thing about being dumb tourists, is that we are dumb tourists. The train stopped at more and more stations picking more and more people up. Then we saw him! The man we've been dreading: ticketcollector man! A very smart and stern looking fellow with head wobble that shook richter scales. We handed our Internet printed ticket, he checked his list, checked our ticket, then checked his list, wobbled his head, then scratched it mid-wobble: "Mr Nick, I'm afraid there is no room on the train and your ticket is vaitlisted". To which were replied with a smile: " morning sir, yep that's our ticked! We're really looking forward to Goa too! Isn't it a lovely morning?".

Ticketcollector man didn't speak much English, but luckily there was a bloke in the same carriage, also without a ticket, who spoke excellent English. He explained that the ticket collector was a nice guy, and would do his best to find us all a seat. We were delighted with this news! The thought of being thrown off in the dark, somewhere random in India was not a good one. We had to stand for three hours, but eventually people disembarked, and seats became available :o)

The journey became more stunning the further south we travelled. It was around 30deg outside, and palm trees lined the surrounding green valleys. The scenery was good, real good, a nice change from seeing nothing but people for four days in Mumbai. Things were looking up.

We arrived at Madgao station, Goa, at 2pm. It was baking hot, and very busy. We haggled an overpriced taxi to Veeniola Guest House at Cavelossim beach, which was only a few miles away. But, the driver insisted on being India's next top bell end. Despite driving like a madman, he claimed he knew the place before we got in the taxi. During the journey he managed to get himself lost although he asked several people directions, and, I pointed out the location on a map. Needless to say he wanted more money at the end, he didn't get any! They will try every trick in the book to con a little more from you, if you let it happen, you'll be wasting a lot of money.

Veeniola Guest house was a lovely place, bright decor, clean rooms, and a short walk to a quiet sandy beach. Just what the doctor had ordered. We headed down to the beach, had a large bottle of Kingfisher for a quid, and relaxed in the sunshine. But it didn't long before Ally starting feeling ill, stomach cramps, drained of energy, and eventually sickness. Barfing-on-the-beach isn't glamorous, so we slowly walked back to the guess house. That's when I started feeling ill too.

That night was properly horrific. We both had violent sickness and diorreha, but had just one small bathroom! Being the gentlemen I would hold out for as long as poss to let the lady go first, all in the name of love.

Luckily it only lasted that night, but our stomachs didn't fully recover for the next 4/5 days! At least we were in a nice, quiet place to chill whilst feeling rough. Around 30 - 70 percent of people get 'Delhi belly' within the first two weeks of travel in India, so it's a right of passage I suppose 😉

Despite our sickness, we enjoyed our short time of three days at Cavelossim. We met some interesting oldies who come to India every year for months on end. They gave us some great info, from places to visit, to how to stay patient in a country where everything is backwards and upside down.

Next place, Baga. Notorious for its boisterous clubbing scene, late night parties and crazy beaches. Still recovering, I'd be lying if I said we were up for it....



Puggism of the week: Pugspew

Advertisement



2nd January 2012

facebook
Hi Nick - have put the link on Facebook so that more people can see the blog - keep them coming
2nd January 2012

i love your blog. do i need to sign in??? -denisedelgado49@yahoo.co.uk

Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 16; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0697s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb