Spice plantations of Goa


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Goa
March 15th 2005
Published: March 15th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Idelyic spice plantaionIdelyic spice plantaionIdelyic spice plantaion

A spice farm was in farmland dotted with coconut palms and evergreen glades frequented by the sleek egrets and robins. There was a domestic elephant as well, to complete the rustic scene.
I am just back from that serene, relaxing and yet magestic Goa. What a marvelous place on earth. Pity, its only now being recognised as a holiday destination in the recent times.

Goa has got just about every thing - Beautiful beeches on the west coast, sumptuous sunset to keep you enchanted, Coconut palm sprinkeled landscape, small and yet imposing hills, water sports like surfing and jet skies, great restuarents to please the connousiers and very very friendly and laid-back people permitting the forginers to mix and mingle wihtout any fear or restrainment.

As if these were not enough - a group of dolphins engaged in the never ending chase of fleeing schools of fish will keep you captivated. If you want some more then you can go to watch the sleek and agile birds in the bird santuary and to top it up - go on a crocodile spotting trip with 'Jake the snake' fellow in his little boat, into the back waters of Goa.

SPICE PLANTATION VISIT

We visited a spice plantation just at the out skirts of Goa, about half an hour taxi journey. Turned out to be a delightful visit with a bonus
Spice guide Raj (Indiana Jones of spices)Spice guide Raj (Indiana Jones of spices)Spice guide Raj (Indiana Jones of spices)

Raj delighted us by his wonderful style of naration. He gave us a run through of all the common spices of India and explained to us about the various spice flavours and tastes - including that famous Garam Masala spice !
show of elephant wash at the end.

Myself, Mom and Dad were recieved by a spice guide to a coconut leaves shack. Coconut shacks are very good in providing a cool shade when you are burnt by the relentless tropical sun. We were greeted traditional flower garland and a local buffet meal.

After that the Spice guide Raj took us on a spice tour showing different types of spice plants and trees. We were joined by a couple from UK. The lady was a keen spice fan and well versed with the spices.

I can't remember everything but nevertheless still have some vague idea of the names of the spices shown to us.

Just follow the images -


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Cashunet fruitCashunet fruit
Cashunet fruit

Note the nuts - its OUTSIDE the fruit. The nuts come first followed by the flesh fruit above.
Cashunet nutsCashunet nuts
Cashunet nuts

The nuts are formed first followed by the fruit above. The nuts will be always outside. These nuts are edible and commonly roasted with peper and salt.
FeniFeni
Feni

Feni is a local Goan alchol drink brewed from cashunet fruit. This simple contraption is used to distill the fermented alchohol. This unregulated drink is loaded with alchohol and if you don't watch your consumption - you will be supine on the ground, in no time !
Beetle nut treeBeetle nut tree
Beetle nut tree

Beetle nuts are very commonly used by Indians along with beetle leaves and tobaco. The combination gives them 'high' buzz and its addictive and no wonder lot of them are addicted.
Beetle leaves with Beetle nutBeetle leaves with Beetle nut
Beetle leaves with Beetle nut

The leaves are folded over the nut to make a small packet as shown. Then the whole pack is chewed slowly over a period of time to get the buzz. The chewing also coats the tongue with firey red color. Over a long period of abuse - this combination leads to oral cancer. No wonder oral cancer is so high in India
Spice collectionSpice collection
Spice collection

There are cardomon, beetle nuts, cashunets, ginger in there.
ginger and plantginger and plant
ginger and plant

Ginger is a tuborous root like potatos. Has to be dug out to find them.
Flavoured sheath of spice treeFlavoured sheath of spice tree
Flavoured sheath of spice tree

This sheath is used to provide flavour in Indian cooking, dishes like Biriyani rice.
Spice TarzanSpice Tarzan
Spice Tarzan

This fellow climbs these tall beetle nut trees with such ease. Makes it look so easy. As these trees are hollow they can be swung by leaning on them at the top. Then Tarzan will shift from one tree to another with little effort - very much like a nimble monkey.
Spice TarzanSpice Tarzan
Spice Tarzan

This fellow climbs these tall beetle nut trees with such ease. Makes it look so easy. As these trees are hollow they can be swung by leaning on them at the top. Then Tarzan will shift from one tree to another with little effort - very much like a nimble monkey.
Exhilarating Chill down the spineExhilarating Chill down the spine
Exhilarating Chill down the spine

At the end we were given a splash of spice water on to the back of the spine. It provides an explosive burst of exhilarating chill, running down the spine. Delightful conclusion to a wonderful spice trip.
Elephant washElephant wash
Elephant wash

After the tour we stayed on to see the elephant wash.
splash timesplash time
splash time

Elephant splashing all over. Please take a look at my other journl 'Elephant wash' for more interesting images.


24th August 2005

Name of Spice Farm?
I'd love to know the name of this particular farm-been to a Goan spice farm near Ponda but this one would be great for our next visit as we are travelling with children.
1st November 2005

Spice Plantation
Visited here in February this year very interesting tour, well worth a visit
14th January 2006

Spice farm address
Visited this fantastic place last easter '05 we had a unforgettable trip... Time spent with the elephant in the water was brilliant....hope you find it ok. Address: Near Hotel Amigos, Curti, Ponda. Web site: sahakarifarms.com
14th February 2007

Spice Plantation
Thanks Ken. This brought back memories of our fantastic holiday in Goa last year. We bought essential oils from the farm which completely got rid of my husband's psoriasis. Until we ran out ! We want to get more so we now have the e-mail address. Thnaks to you ! Regards
17th July 2009

spices and nuts
where can i get them
16th February 2010

spice farm
visited the farm 2 years back it was very interesting specially the splash of spice water on the back was really wonderful.
14th November 2010
Beetle leaves with Beetle nut

so much for that potential experiment

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0443s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb