Swiss Girl, Crocodiles & mud baths at the beach


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Goa
March 9th 2009
Published: March 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

4th January 2009

Pili was up a 4:30am to go with Vinny to the airport to collect Valerie and John H. I also got up and at about 7am went for a walk down the Baga Rd to do some photography. We all met up at Bobbies Beach Shack at about 9am. It was really good to see John again and especially good to see our dear Valerie. Valerie was extremely white compared to everyone else here and took loads of friendly kidding from our friends. Pili was really excited to have her buddy here, they are like a couple of kids together.

Well the day was spent on the beach and in the evening we took Valerie for her first Indian curry at Typies Shack which is down by the Calangute steps. We had a great evening sat in candle light by the sea. Pili was exhausted and soon fell asleep in her chair, wrapped in her sari. Of course we took the most unflattering pictures of her.

5th January 2009

Today I decided to stay in bed and try and shake off this bloody chest infection, I’ve almost completely lost my voice and my throat is very sore.

John H and the girls go to Anjuna Beach for the day, John was only to happy to escort two hot chicks around for the day.

I just sleep and sweat and do a little writing, I really need this day off and I can see things may get hectic with the girls planning excursions.

In the evening I join them at the Sea Shore Chinese Resturaunt. I love this little place, ultra basic and cheap but excellent cuisine, just how we like it.

6th January 2009

Today we head off with Vinny at 8am to Old Goa for a boat trip up river to see if we can find the local crocodiles. I’m still pretty sick but I wouldn’t miss this for the World.. The day gets very hot and on top of the boat (St. Peter’s Ark) we really feel it. During the 3hr trip we see 6-7 crocodiles and I get some good photos. On the bank of th eriver we also pass a massive construction sight. Dozens of Indians were toiling away in the blistering heat welding together a new cargo barge, it was quite a sight and
I'd taken an early morning walk with JohnI'd taken an early morning walk with JohnI'd taken an early morning walk with John

Pili had gone to the airport to meet Valerie & John H
how they cope with the heat I'll never know, they all gained our respect. We also see plenty of birdlife which help distract me from my maladies.

On our return we go to the beach Ranjit buys the girls a couple of cocktails, ‘Sex on the Beach’ and we all sit and watch a beautiful sunset.

In the evening we all go to the sports bar for drinks and a marathon session of pool. Valerie is attracting a lot of attention from the guys who work in the bar, it’s all very friendly and I think she likes it anyway.

7th January 2009

This morning we head of for Anjuna market. John and I decide the idea of walking around in the heat and chaos is not for us to we head to our favourite beach bar and leave the girls to shopping for shiny things, they have plenty of choice and I know the girls were glad to get rid of us.

After the shopping spree the girls join us at the beach and sit down to make some travelling plans. John and I had to point out several times that this isn’t Europe
Arrival of our Swiss girlArrival of our Swiss girlArrival of our Swiss girl

Here comes trouble, the silly sisters
and the plans they made were very unrealistic, especially considering that Valerie had such a short time here. The plans that they had come up with would’ve taken a couple of months, if things went smoothly. They seemed to forget that India is 5 times the size of France and the transportation system is at he best stuck in the 1950’s. Trains and buses do not run to all destinations and especially not on a daily basis. We found out that the next train to Kerala wasn’t running until the 15th and it’s a 22hr journey! This is one of the more regular destinations and is very popular with the tourists, but this is India and all things are relative especially when talking about dates and travel arrangements I felt sorry for Valerie because I think Pili had convinced her that we were going on an extended road trip. I wish we could have afforded our own transport but even then you have so many boarders and check point to negotiate things could get very tricky. I don’t think they realise in Goa we are seeing the very best of condition in the whole of India, most place don’t even have roads, buses and trains. Travelling with the two girls on our own I think could have been very dangerous and on top of all this the country is in a state of high alert since the Mumbia bombings. I persuade them it will be better if we take some extended excursions with overnight stays and to be taken there by a local guide. I know the girls were a little frustrated with this but what could I do, it was my job to look out for them and make sure they are safe, I could have my work cut out for me!

The evening we spend with William, Adu and pretty, it’s their last night and we’re surely going to miss them, they’ve been amazing company. Pretty tells me she’s been talking with atop London documentary producer about some of my research and ideas, she says she’d love to do a project at some point and that she will definitely be in touch again. This is amazing but I’m not getting too excited as I have had this said to me before and nothing has come from the promises. I however have a really good feeling about our new friends, we were meant to me meet I feel.

8th January 2009

This morning we book a driver/guide for a four day excursion o Kanataka to visit two wildlife sanctuaries, I’m really excited and I’m pleased that we will be showing Valeria some of the real India. We also invite along our friend David to come along with us. David’s been so generous to us and we appreciate it so much. I’ve been sleeping on his sofa while the girls have the bedroom, I’m such a gent or maybe I’m just crazy!!!!

We head up to the Phoenix bar at midday for some lunch and then we hire a couple of mopeds and head off to Arambol Beach. The hour ride there is pure madness. Valerie is on the pillion with Pili and I go it alone leading the way through the chaos of traffic, villages and terrible roads. We have a few hairy moments with buses, cars, people and livestock cutting us up but we eventually arrive safely and it’s well worth it. Arambol beach is long, white and beautiful. It seems to attract the younger visitors and is renown for it’s hippy population. We walk north along the beach, through the covered market stalls and on toward the famous ‘sweet water lake’ that sits next to the jungle and is fed by fresh water streams. This is paradise, we swim in the lake and sit and watch the bee-eaters flying around like fighter pilots, chasing a myriad of tasty insects. After a couple of hours relaxing we decide to walk through the jungle to the famous Banyan tree. It’s about a 15 minute hike through the humid undergrowth but we find a well worn path so there is no chance of getting lost. When we arrive we find a bunch of very stoned hippies sat in a circle beneath the huge spreading branches of the tree. Typical hippies, ya gotta love em.

On the way back the girls decide that they have to sample the famous mud holes along the stream. The gingerly negotiate themselves across the slippery rocks and cover themselves in the mineral rich mud, beauty treatment jungle style. Fully covered in the muddy slime we make our way back to the sweet water lake where they wash themselves of in the cool, fresh waters.

It’s about 2hrs to sunset
Two young Marsh Harriers playing above the marsh landTwo young Marsh Harriers playing above the marsh landTwo young Marsh Harriers playing above the marsh land

Taken from David's window overlooking the Beira Mar Hotel complex
so I suggest we have a small dip in the sea and then head back to Baga before dark, I really don’t fancy driving in the dark around here, I reckon we’d only have a 50/50 chance of survival.

As we leave Arambol we briefly stop to photograph the beautiful sunset which is setting way to fast for my likening, time is against us now.

On the journey home I get stuck behind a moped that is all over the road. This can be explained because it was a little overloaded, 6 people on a moped, 2 adults and 4 children, all without helmet, just clinging onto anything they can without a care in the world while buses and lorries weave around them. It’s frightening but at the same time fascinating to watch. Can you imagine this in the UK, I see the headlines now “Irresponsible father endangered family on busy roads”, the weight on the moped crushed the suspension causing the bike to barely skim the road surface. As soon as I could I skirted around this carnage waiting to happen and arrived safely back in Baga just after dark. It was about 7:15pm. The girls had a whale of a time laughing all the way home.

In the evening we take Valerie to ‘The German Bakery’ for her first Tahli, she loves it and invite us insisting she pay the whopping 200Rs bill for the three meals and drinks.

9th January 2009

This morning we made our down to Captain Lobo’s to off Adu and Preity, we’re really sad to see them go. Adu was trying to persuade Pretty to stay longer but she had to get back as she has some important meeting to attend.

We had also arranged with Captain Lobo (Lance is his real name) to go and visit his Jungle Resort approximately an hours drive away. Lance is looking for someone to manage the place and turn it into a profitable business. William, Adu and Preity had previously visited to place and all agreed that Pili and I were the team for the job. Unfortunately today was the start of a three day fuel strike so we had to cancel the trip. Pili and Valerie went down to the beach and I stayed and had breakfast with William.

In the afternoon John H took the girls to the Tibetan Market to look at all the jewellery, I decided to give this a miss and head back and sort through my photos and do some writing.

In the evening I stayed home a carried on working, the girls wanted to go to the sports bar again because they were having a Karaoke evening; personally I’d rather eat my own foot than suffer that. John H took them and Pili and Valerie apparently had a great time. Pili had a few to many cocktails though!




Additional photos below
Photos: 90, Displayed: 29


Advertisement

What me?What me?
What me?

A confused Valerie
Me and my old mate John HutchinsonMe and my old mate John Hutchinson
Me and my old mate John Hutchinson

Sea Shore Chinese Resturaunt, the best in Goa


30th March 2009

nice memories
I remember you at Bobbies at xmas & new year. We travelled out xmas day. Recall John with his big camera...nice pics...I was there with my wife and daughter, we stand out a bit in goa as Margaret is black and I am white... Well we are going out again today.. flight at 4pm from Manchester...Hope Old John is still there he is a gent...Funnily enough we are at the Biera Mar....Looking forward to seeing all the lads at Bobbies.... love the photo's....they have just perked me up for the trip.....
20th September 2010
Pili's got a new hat

muah
hii

Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 14; qc: 70; dbt: 0.0804s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb