Golden Indian Circus!


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Goa » Patnem
March 11th 2008
Published: March 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After 2+ weeks kickin' it with le hippies in Arambol, we finally decided it time to mosey on South. . . We figured Anjuna must be worth a look, since it is the infamous party-spot of infamous party-Goa. But, as we'd been warned, it really was a stain compared to our first experience - sprawling concrete "beach huts" and restaurants lined the beach, which was actually mostly rock anyway. The crowd we saw in our day there was mainly Russian, and generally not much to look at.
We were sick at the time, so didn't feel like floundering around for a good party and decided to leave asap. Further south, we headed for Colva, a massive, endless beach with fine but crunchy sand and perfect waves. Although our first night was unfortunately spent being mosquito-eaten and entertained by rats running on top of the wall in what amounted to a storage room at the "Golden Rose". Our next accomidation was as nice as the Golden Rose was crappy- at the plantation-like "Infant Jesus" guest house. Just a few minutes from the beach, amazingly clean and large with a kitchen(!), our own little Jesus shrine and a beautifully carved heavy-wooden door. We spent just a few more days here before heading on again. In between there and our next beach, we had to transfer through the town of Margao, the largest in the tiny state of Goa. When we arrived at the bus station, we noticed this large sprawling tented complex, and saw signs advertising the Golden Circus... 'Could it be?' we thought to ourselves. But lo and behold, there next to the hot and dirty bus terminal parking lot was the Circus! We knew we couldn't pass up this opportunity and quickly ran on over.
We had 4 options for tickets: 30, 60, 100, and 150 Rupees, and ponied up for the 60 Rps, middle-class passes. The inner tent was on a rocky dirt floor and likely had space for about 500 (in cheap red plastic seats), but with me and Lex there was probably about 30 people in attendance.
The show itself was some kind of cheaply bootlegged entertainment, starting with some very lo-fi safety acrobatics, and followed by many clumsy, fumbling performances including bicycles, and flaming ropes... The performers were mostly non-Indian, though we had a hell of a time figuring out where they might be from - Tyler
spiritually guided handsspiritually guided handsspiritually guided hands

wax devotioncal figurines for sale on the streets outside St. Francis Xavier Cathedral, in old Goa.
figured Nepalese refugies, Lex, Mongolian. . . Certainly, there were some memorable moments, such as the 3-horned, 3-eyed cow (its 3rd eye more resembled a sphincter, and actually blinked along with the other eyes); the elephant; and the little Indian clown-dwarf family, including a gloriously happy child - and they were all called "Charlie!"
To add to the bootleg-feel of the event, there was a blaring, horrible aural experience, with circus-type music including rip-offs of everything from Simon & Garfunkel to the Petshop Boys! all accompanied by live drumset, of course.
The show was over 2 hours and by the end Lex and I were thoroughly cooked in the oven-like heat. But luckily, Lex was able to get herself a tiny cup of iceCream.
Then on we went to Patnem/Pallolem.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

The Wonderous 3-horned 3-eyed bovine!The Wonderous 3-horned 3-eyed bovine!
The Wonderous 3-horned 3-eyed bovine!

(be the first to see Lex's next tattoo!)
HotHot Circus HeatHotHot Circus Heat
HotHot Circus Heat

Roasted and Toasted, Indian-Circus style


20th June 2008

yogariffic!
that's great! :D

Tot: 0.189s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1567s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb