Goa


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Goa » Panaji
April 4th 2010
Published: April 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We crawl off the bus after two days and two nights solid travel caked in filth and stinking to high heaven. Goa is notoriously expensive but we find a cheap little guest house in the center of Panjim and immediately disrobe and shower! Our Roman Catholic host later admits her reluctance to let us in due to our disheveled appearance but i think she was relieved to see we scrubbed up pretty well.
Goa is very different to anywhere we have visited in India so far - it is clean, organised and hassle free. The locals drive new European cars down streets lined with palm trees and Mediterranean architecture. We both love this paradise and walk around carefree. It may not be 'real' India but it feels like a holiday and that is how we treat it. We hire a scooter and explore this compact little state with it's beautiful coast, abandoned forts and huge cathedrals.


Journal excerpts:

Ness: "...Road safety simply doesn't exist in India. The only rule being that the driver (not the passenger/s) has to wear a helmet on the freeway, whereas overtaking on blind bends, pulling out in to traffic and stopping in the middle of the road without warning are all perfectly fine. Pretty shit scared as driving in India is something quite unique. Tom also requires some dutch courage and we go for a beer before heading out. This doesn't fill me with confidence. but after a few practice runs around the block we feel brave enough to hit the freeway across the bridge and explore...."

Tom: "...Having wheels is freedom and the wind in our hair is refreshing in the scortching heat. Plus it is a lot of fun!!..."

Ness: "...After a fun first day we both sleep blissfully and awake with a desire for more adventure. We rent another scooter until sundown and set off - a tangle of locks flying on freedom in search of sand and sea...."

Tom: "...On the beach are hosts of English tourists tanning fat, well fed bodies as Indians cater for their greedy needs with over priced burgers and beer. Somehow i feel ashamed to be part of their number and am eager to leave. A swim in the sea is refreshing but scary. Currents pull fiercly even in the shallows and i can feel the hunger of this vast ocean pulling me out and down to Davy Jone's locker. We soon saddle up and move on to less populated areas of this jungle paradise...."



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.188s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 86; dbt: 0.0731s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb