Time for some R+R


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Goa » Palolem
December 27th 2008
Published: January 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Palm treesPalm treesPalm trees

Our view
Well after 6 weeks of western and central India, we decided we needed a break. A night train took us south to Madgaon. Grabbed a city bus south again to the beach of Palolem. Popular with backpackers, and I can see why. The 1-2 km beach was lined with cheap hotels and beach shacks, restaurants, and sunbeds. We were still exhausted from our train so grabbed the first decent bungalo we found. Flimsily put together, bamboo and thatch hut, up on stilts. It did have a bathroom in the back, but I thought I was going to go through the floor many times. It seemed to sink a good 5-6 cm's every time I stepped into it. It did however face the beach, just passed the restaurant we were beside. Worked out well, as our little Nepali waiter would bring beers right to my balcony. I had basically been up all night, sleeping patches on the train when I could, so I grabbed a beer and sat in the sun to read.
The restaurants were wonderful as well. Fresh seafood dinners would be served to you on a private table by candlelight as you watched the waves roll in. Can't quite
CowsCowsCows

Cows on beach
beat that! We splurged on a lobster dinner on Christmas which was amazing.
Of course we all now about the terrorist attacks in Mumbai in November and India was still on high alert. Especially Goa, as it was getting terrorist threats apparently daily. The Police came out on the 24th of Dec to shut down all the night dinners on the beach, which sucked. They also had a barricade built at the beach entrance and were there with their machine guns oogling the westerners in their 2 piece bikinis of course. It was all fine luckily I guess, you never know.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

JoJo
Jo

Palolem
Xmas DinnerXmas Dinner
Xmas Dinner

Xmas Dinner
cows 2cows 2
cows 2

Cows 2
sunsun
sun

sunset
hut hut
hut

Our bungalo
huthut
hut

My hut view
BeachBeach
Beach

Laying in chairs on beach
Photo 13Photo 13
Photo 13

our restaurant/bungalow
Photo 19Photo 19
Photo 19

xmas sandman
Photo 20Photo 20
Photo 20

rooftop yoga


Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0819s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb