The beginning of the end p.s Look what I did mum


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Goa » Colva
July 21st 2007
Published: July 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well Hello from India

Yes we're sadly now in our last country of our trip and we're both feeling quite bemused as to where all that time has gone as it is now just over a week until we head for home.

So we landed in Mumbai...

Whilst in Mumbai we sampled our first Indian curries (mmm good) at the popular tourist restaurant Leopolds where Gary was interviewed for an upcoming internet broadcast, we also went to the movies which if i'm honest freaked me out a little as of all films we could have seen late at night it had to be a horror film and it didn't help that it was a huge and practically deserted cinema. This may not sound scary but I guess you would have to have been there, plus it was a pretty scary film too. On our last day in Mumbai we decided to take a city tour which the manager of our hotel recommended to us. This involved seeing sights such as Gandhi's house, Chow Patty Beach, the biggest outside laundrette in Mumbai, and many more local sights worth seeing, including the taxi driver's friends shop where we left feeling like real cheap skates as we didn't buy anything despite the owners hard sell technique "I give you good price".

Oh and I guess I should also mention that whilst in Mumbai we headed down to the Gateway to India where we had heard that local scouts hang out trying to get westerners to appear as extras in Bollywood films. Unfortunately there were none there when we were looking for them but typically we were approached to be in a film on our last night. I must say we were rather gutted as it would have paid 600 rupees!

So from Mumbai we headed to Goa as finally it looked as if the weather wasn't going to stop us from doing so. So we got on an overnight sleeper train and headed south. I must say though that the tansport systems over here are not at all up to scratch with british rail or Virgin. We arrived in Colva the following morning and were greeted by a lovely sky blanketted in grey cloud. It was here that we just relaxed for a bit as you do when you've been travelling for so long and then a few days later we changed locations and moved to Palolem, another town in Goa where i'm sorry mum but I went and got a tattoo!, i'll leave it up to you to figure out whether it's real or not though. It was great in Palolem, the beach was beautiful although the water was a bit rough due to the season. It was all very chilled out even though we nearly got attacked by a stray dog whilst walking home one afternoon!

I must say that if we thought Kaikoura in NZ was a haven for wildlife then we really hadn't seen anything yet as you can't even walk down the road a few feet here without coming across a dog, a cat, a pig or a cow! Yes it is definitely true what they say about cows being everywhere in India because they really are, you can be in a restaurant eating dinner and look out the window and find yourself saying "oh there goes another cow on his evening stroll"

So onto our next destination, Jaipur which is where we are now and where we will be for the next few days. Gary nearly got into a fight this morning with an old Indian woman as she thought she could just push into the ticket queue at the train station when there were about half a dozen other people behind us and we were at the front waiting to be served next.

Ok well that's about all we've done in the last two weeks, I know it doesn't sound like much but I think that both of us are slowly starting to wind down in preparation for heading home.

Speaking of which, see you all next week!

V&G

xxxxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



25th July 2007

See you soon!
Hi guys, can't believe you'll be home in just over a week. We can't wait to see you both but shall miss reading about your travel adventures. Love the tatoo Verity! Have a safe trip home, Tracey, John and boysxxxx.

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0516s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb