Arambol Beach : North Goa


Advertisement
India's flag
Asia » India » Goa » Arambol
December 29th 2010
Published: December 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post


Rock Cliffs at Arambol Beach,Goa

Arambol Beach: Arambol also known as harmal is the largest coastal village in pernem district of Goa. Arambol is 32 km northwest of Mapusa and really mobilized for tourism. If you can manage with basic amenities but want to stay somewhere vivaciously, Arambol can be your best bet. Arambol is a strung out village by the seashore where the prime beach is a splendid stretch of curving sand. The Village’s two beaches are beautiful and still relatively unexploited – thanks to the locals ,Who a few years back managed to block proposals put forward by the local landowner to site a sprawling five-star resort here.

Arambol Beach from the Main Road

Modern Arambol is scattered around an area of high ground west to the main coast road. From here, a bumpy lane runs downhill to the established fishing quarter, clustered under a canopy of widely spaced palm trees. The main beach lies 200m further along a lane that the predominantly British, Festival going tourist population call Glastonbury street .The main Arambol beach is strewn with dozens of old wooden boats and a line of tourist café-bar and the gently curving bay is good for bathing, but much less picturesque than its neighbor beach around the corner that is renowned as Paliem (aka lake side) beach.

Paliem Beach / Lake Side Beach : Arambol

To reach this follow the trek over the headland to the north; beyond a rather unpleasant-smelling, rocky bottomed cove, the trail emerges to a broad strip of soft white sand hemmed in on the both sides by steep cliffs, behind it; a small fresh water lake extends along the bottom of the valley into a dense forest. Hang around the banks of this shadowy green pond for long enough, and you will probably see a fluorescent-yellow human figure and two appear from the bushes at its far end, fed by boiling hot springs, the lake is lined with sulphurous mud, which when smeared over the body, dries to form a surreal, butter –colored shell. The native hippies swear it’s good for you and spend much of the tiptoeing naked around the shallows like refugees from some obscure tribal initiation ceremony-much to the amusement of Arambol’s Indian visitors.

Sunset at Paliem Beach / Lake side beach : Arambol

Besides the fishing village of Arambol, which, during the winters, plays host to a large party of hippy travelers seeking a less pretentious alternative to other goan beaches, the beautiful Pernem coastline of long sandy beaches is also simply a pleasure to the eyes. On the coastline of Arambol beach, Lagoons and coconut plantation is punctured with few settlements equipped to cope with visitors. You can also include a picturesque journey to Terekol Fort in your itinerary, which is on the Maharashtran border and can easily be covered in a day-trip.

http://thinkingparticle.com/articles/arambol-beach-north-goa

Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb