Hong Kong...... We Made it!


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong
August 29th 2009
Published: September 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

After 14 countries, 7 time zones, 124 taxis, 74 minibuses, 61 buses, 32 cars, 28 metros, 11 boats, 10 trains, 9 motorbikes, 5 ferries, 4 rickshaws, 4 dugout canoes, 1 truck, 1 cable car, 1 funicular, 1 horse, 1 donkey cart and frustratingly 1 plane (not to mention 37 visits to embassies), we have made it from Nairobi to Hong Kong.


Well it’s certainly been quite a journey and we couldn’t think of a better place to end it than the fantastic city of Hong Kong. Despite being busy, Hong Kong is an incredibly civilised place and perhaps more than any other city we have visited, easy to get around. The public transport system goes everywhere you could want it to, is kept in immaculate condition and runs like clockwork. We can only assume it wasn’t like this during British rule! For shorter distances there are vast networks of raised walkways, which removes the need for Russian Roulette style road crossing. Perhaps most impressively is the world’s longest escalator, which takes a full 20 minutes to travel the length of, not as you might expect located in a building, but climbing a particularly steep hill in the city.


Whilst in Hong Kong we generally marvelled at being in the first truly multicultural destination of our trip. After so long of having to eat the local food, regardless of how enjoyable, we treated ours some varied cuisine and dined on world class Italian, Indian and Japanese food. More predictably, we also had some excellent Chinese food and enjoyed the novelty of ordering it from a menu we could read!


As well as food, we also played to Hong Kong’s other strength, shopping and thoroughly enjoyed the feeling of being able to purchase anything under the sun. Although sadly Hong Kong is far from cheap enough to indulge all of our materialistic desires. We can also confess to visiting Marks and Spencer for a little taste of home, but with prices higher than home, we definitely couldn’t afford anything there.


We also partook in the obligatory tourist activity of visiting Victoria Peak, which is reached by an almost incomprehensibly steep tram, for magnificent views of the city. Finally no trip to Hong Kong would be complete without viewing the impressive skyline at night.


So the first, epic, leg of our journey is finished. Next stop Australia, for the closest thing to home we’ll have experienced for quite some time, albeit the furthest away from home we have ever been .




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



14th September 2009

Photos
I'm really enjoying reading the travel blogs and looking at the photos. thanks for including me on the list. the only downside is i'll sit and dream for a fair few minutes after reading them. take care and thanks once again K x
14th September 2009

News...
Don't know how much you're getting but here is some trivial news... 1. West Brom are top under the astute mangership of Roberto DiMateo; 2. England have qualified for the World Cup; 3. City are actually turning out to be really good; 4. Championship Manager 2010 has been available on a 'Radiohead style' pay what you want download (1p aha); 5. I've bought a house with Sally in Wilmslow; 6. Ian has had another child - a girl this time, to be know as Charlotte. That's all I can think of, in no particular order of priority. Have fun, see you in a few months. PS, points 1, 2 and 3 are in no way related to point 4. which is of course not real life...
14th September 2009

Hong Kong, good work!
well done guys, that sounds both totally totally eviable and exhausting! can't believe your still travelling, uganda feels like light years away, but i guess for you guys it is probably all going far too quickly! fab photos, really inspiring kieran and i to go off again. loving the updates. L x
15th September 2009

124 taxis??
Why 124 taxis, now I'm curious! Anyway, great fun idea to count! =)
15th September 2009

Mirrors
Hi, I can see from youre most recent photographs that you can now travel a bit lighter by dumping the mirror, what a shiney place Hong Kong is, Alex you now have no excuse for not having that well required shave, no need to do arms and legs and chest, I think you may get arrested for stripping in the streets. I hope you did not cave in and have a McDonalds, please say you didn't. Hope the stiff necks get better what with all that looking up at the sky scrapers. What was the name of the horse and the donkey? just being curios! Have a safe trip to Oz and say hello to Shiela, don't forget to look up my cousin he lives there, he will be in the phone book.............Phil

Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0355s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb