Cheung Chau Island - Nature Trail


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong
May 17th 2009
Published: May 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Dear Friends,

Sunday, May 17th. The weather is great, a little bit hot for walking and climbing (32 C.) and the humidity is very high (86%).

Cheung Chau Island is just two kilometres long. The island is the most densely populated outlying island of Hong Kong. Surprisingly and charmingly, the island also has temples, beautiful and very popular beaches and interesting nature trails that wind over hills and headlands and along some wild stretches of coastline.

To reach Cheung Chau from Hong Kong is very easy. You take the ferryboat from The Central Pier no. 5. These boats take you directly to the island.

A good tip: buy a first class tickect for the slow ferry boat and you can enjoy a full hour on the outside deck of the ferry boat.
If you are in a hurry, take the fast ferryboat. This trip takes 40 minutes, but you can only sit inside.

Approching Cheung Chau the ferry passes an array of fishing vessels, testement to the vibrant fishing community that still exists on the island.
When you leave the ferry, turn left and walk along the praya (main street of the island) a few minutes and you will see the Pak Tei Temple.
A Tin Hau Temple dedicated to the Northern King. The sportsground in front of the temple is where the main celebrations are held every year for the incredibly popular Cheung Chau Bun Festival. To learn more about this Bun Festival: look at our travelblog May 2nd - The Bun Festival

This time we took the nature trail starting from Kwun Yam beach. A couple of trails are leading into a small wooded valley, which are very good for exploring.

But we took the trail which is called 'the mini great wall', which is not really a wall but a grand coastal path with many great scenic views.

During this trail the path will go up and down. We think we lost two litres of water each. But this walk is so beautiful along the coastline.

AND after our walk of more than two and a half hours our reward was: EATING LOBSTER and LARGE SHRIMPS in the local harbourrestaurant.
AND BEAR (and Monkey too) was drinking bier, can you believe that??????. More than two litres bier!!!!!!!!!

After a great late lunch or as you wish a early dinner. It was a great day again.



Saterday we went to Sai Kung. From Kowloon it takes around 1 1/2 hour to reach this very nice and beautiful village in the Eastern New Territories.

Unexpected the weather was a bit foggy and rainy. So we took the BOAT to the public golfcourse. YES you can only reach this golfcourse by boat.
The course is on a island and has 54 holes. It's really great and beautiful. Look at the pictures and judge by yourself.

So enjoy the pictures and stay tuned for more traveladventures.

From Hong Kong with love.

Monkey and Bear


Additional photos below
Photos: 58, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



21st May 2009

Wij zijn er nog niet uit
Hoi Wereldreizigers, Ook wij hebben de mascote bestudeerd, en weten niet wat het word. Het licht er erg bedekkend bij. Maar een meisje is prima hoor als jullie dat zo zeggen. Dan noemen we haar Annefleur. Kriebels hebben wij al wel voor de trouwerij maar in ondertrouw zijn we nog niet. Dat is pas aankomende dinsdag, maar alvast bedankt voor de felicitatie's. Blijf nog genieten daar in hong kong en denk maar nog niet aan de terug reis. Niet teveel souveniers kopen anders kunnen die leeuwen niet mee terug. Dikke kussen uit Wijk.
21st May 2009

Hanze Vision
Dag wereldreizigers, Ik weet niet of dit bij jullie aankomt, daarom op goed geluk! Geweldig om jullie reis te kunnen volgen. Hoop dat jullie grandioos genieten, maar daar ziet het alleszins naar uit! Groeten, Niels ==============

Tot: 0.262s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 26; qc: 150; dbt: 0.1847s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb