Bun Festival - Cheung Chau Island


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong
May 2nd 2009
Published: May 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Dear Friends,

Saterday, May 2nd, we visit the Bun Festival on Cheung Chau Island.
The weather is beautiful and we went early in the morning to the island and with us thousands of other people.

The information about the Bun Festival is provided by the Hong Kong Tourist Board. Thanks for that. If you want to know anything about Hong Kong and the surroundings of Hong Kong visit their great site.



Information about the Bun Festival - Cheung Chau Island.

Cheung Chau Bun Festival - Fourth Moon, Day 8

Is in 2009: May 2nd.

This is one of those unique festivals that will leave you spellbound and provide lifelong memories - and it all happens on the tiny island of Cheung Chau, once home to some of the most notorious pirates in the South China Sea.

During this festival Tin Hau, the godness of the sea, will be honoured.

The weeklong festival climaxes with a large, carnival-like street procession featuring costumed children on stilts held aloft above the crowd, lion dances and other colourful participants. The parade winds its way through the narrow streets to the grounds near the Pak Tai
Temple, which are dominated by enormous bamboo towers studded with sweet white buns, and where the main festivities take place. At midnight, athletes scramble up one of the towers in a contest to grab the top-most 'luckiest' ones.

Sweet bun towers

One of the reputed origins of this popular festival, which attracts tourists by the tens of thousands each year, involves a plague on the island hundreds of years ago. Villagers disguised themselves as different deities and walked around the island to drive away the evil spirits responsible for the plague. Another story says the festival is part of an annual exorcism and fast.


We hope you like the colourfull pictures and stay tuned for more adventures in and around Hong Kong.

From Cheung Chau Island with love.


Monkey and Bear





Additional photos below
Photos: 80, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



17th May 2009

feesten en partijen
Hoi Aad en Inneke, Geweldige foto's. Het lijkt wel of china alleen feesten en partijen heeft. Dit zal wel onzin zijn, doch het geeft een blijmoedig beeld van dit grote land. Voorzichtig met de griep. Wim
17th May 2009

oh en ah
Zo prachtig, jullie foto's. Vooral de mensen zijn schitterend! Fijn dat jullie zo genieten en wij met jullie! Goed dat we jullie kunnen volgen via de foto's, want dit is waarschijnlijk niet na te vertellen. Nog veel plezier, liefs, Lucia (en de rest).

Tot: 0.342s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 20; qc: 145; dbt: 0.1881s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb