On to Bangkok


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong
February 1st 2007
Published: February 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Josh on the MTRJosh on the MTRJosh on the MTR

The subway (MTR) was terrific.
We are still not entirely adjusted to the time zone. Astrid and the girls were asleep by about 7:30 p.m. local time. Astrid woke up momentarily a few hours later and in a semi-conscious state participated in an apparently conscious discussion with Josh and I. She was quite concerned that we had lost the “luggage transponders”. No amount of convincing would set her mind at ease. She eventually went back to sleep. Josh and I went for a walk around town. The night lights on the harbor are spectacular.

We spent the morning re-packing our luggage so that we could store some of our warmer gear at the hotel until we return to Hong Kong later this month - turns out that it only costs a couple of dollars a day to store the bags. The kids went for a swim at the pool. It was a traditional YMCA setup. The pool was filled with elderly locals.

We split up in the afternoon. Astrid and the girls went wandering near the hotel. Josh and I went to the Electronics Market. Josh has been looking for a Nintendo Wii. Interestingly, there are none to be found in Hong Kong. We were told that the Wii is not made in Hong Kong and that is why they are not selling them at the Electronics stores. For the most part, the prices are on a par with the price of electronics in Toronto if not somewhat more expensive. We returned to the hotel on the subway. It really puts the Toronto system to shame. The subways were clean and plentiful. However, even in the middle of the day, the trains were packed like sardines.

We were a little late getting to the departure gate for our flight to Bangkok. Astrid and Avery literally ran to the gate. The flight itself was completely uneventful on a 777-200.

Even at 7:00 p.m. the traffic was very heavy coming in from the airport. On the way in we passed by a very large army base right in the middle of town.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0393s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb