Things We Have Learned


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong
November 14th 2006
Published: November 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hi Everybody!
We are at the Hong Kong Airport ready to end our adventure to the Asia. I haven't felt well for several days. The exhaust fumes and constant cigarette smoke has finally gotten to me. I was really dragging when we went to China and you could probably tell it from reading the blog. I thought in this blog, I would mention some things that we have learned.
1. Always carry lots of brand new dollar bills. Don't take any torn, worn, or bills with ink writing on them.
2. Know the visa requirements, entrance fees, and exit fees for every country.
3. Have plenty of pages in your passport.
4. Get shots up-dated, carry antibiotics, cold medicine, medicine for other remedies.
5. Establish a travel face and do not trust strangers who approach you.
6. Keep luggage locked even in your hotel room.
7. Pack snacks such as dried fruit, nuts, crackers, etc.
8. Carry plenty of tissue and wet wipes.
9. Always have the name of your hotel, its address, and phone number with you. You have to put it on the immigration form while you are on the plane.
10. Always change some money at the airport for your taxi, etc. Don't change too much money, because the airport rate is often lower.
11. Try to not land at strange airports at night.
12. Book an official taxi at the airport and pay in advance for a safe ride.
13. Don't be bullied by guides. You are paying them. If you had rather shop than go to another temple or ruin, do it.
14. Call your bank and credit card companies to let them know your travel plans. Carry extra cash in case they don't work.
15. Estimate your travel cost and add 20%.
16. Keep a list of purchases and their value.
17. Be extra nice to hotel personnel.
18. When the touts bug you and try to get you to go into a shop, say some words in another language to them. They will leave you alone.
20. Travelers checks had a slightly lower exchange rate but were nice security.
21. If you are trying to book a hotel near the airport, make sure it is the airport you will be using.
22. Book all of your rooms on-line and you will save up to 50%.
23. Try to find out in advance the hotel perks: airport shuttle, free breakfast, etc.
24. Make sure to check to see if your hotel will pick you up at the airport.
25. Don't go to Delhi. If you have to go to Delhi, don't go to the train station.

The last two computers that I have used had the hard drives locked so that I couldn't upload my pictures. I will put a few more pictures on when I get home. Thanks for your kind words about the blog. We have missed all of you and look forward to seeing you soon.
Take care,
Everette

Advertisement



Tot: 0.346s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0934s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb