Day 34 - Hong Kong


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Sha Tin
February 25th 2012
Published: February 25th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We both had a rough night last night as we were finally stung by jetlag for the first time on the trip. We both went to bed at about 9.30pm and for some reason I was back awake at 12.30am and couldn't get back to sleep until about 6ish... Lauren was a little bit the same although managed to get a little more than me.

So after a lack of sleep, we both decided that a late start was in order and didn't leave the hotel until after midday as we headed across the Chinese border to Shenzhen. I had also started to attract what Lauren had last week and wasn't feeling 100% so wasn't moving too quickly.

We arrived at the border and had to go through customs, which all up cost us about $80 Australian for Visas so I had said to Lauren that this had better be a pretty good shopping centre to have cost us this much just to get there. While making our way through the customs line, we did encounter a very pushy English lady and unfortunately for her she met her match today as Dave made it very clear that she was rude and he didn't like it (much to Lauren's embarrassment). Hopefully next time she will think twice about being so rude!

As for Shenzhen, it was under a lot of pressure to perform and it was great. If by great you mean liking people who are trying to sell you the exact same fake, poor quality items and harrass you with every step you walk then yes, it was great. If you don't think it was great, your name is David Cameron or any other male in the universe!

I am probably being too harsh and maybe it was also because I wasn't feeling too good but it wasn't my thing. They don't really cater for guys with all the fake stuff because most of it is jewellary, handbags or shoes and when you get offered "legitimate" Nike shoes for $20, you can be excused for having a few doubts.

Like the shopping prized fighter she is, Lauren still managed to find a few things that made the trip worthwhile and after a few hours we headed back to the hotel. Our location is a little bit away from the main action which is good and bad. It's good because by this stage of the trip we are happy to just spend time in the hotel and relax, but bad because after a while you feel you are wasting too much time and think that you should be out doing something more productive.

The weather also didn't allow for much else today as it was drizzly all day so we had a few quiet hours before going to dinner. In the meantime I went down to the sauna to try and sweat out my cold, all was going well until the power went out and I was the only person in the room and had to get changed and feel my way out as I didn't really know where the exit was!

Just came back from dinner which was nice. With our location we don't have many options so we had dinner downstairs and we will again tomorrow night in one of the hotels other restaurants. We also saw a wedding here today which brought back some memories as we are staying at the Hyatt, it seems like so long ago that we got married, I think it's been lost a little after we've done so much since.

Off to a busier part of Hong Kong tomorrow and then going to the races in the afternoon which is nice and close to the hotel.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0536s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb