Medal success for GB


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Sha Tin
August 13th 2008
Published: August 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well after the uninspiring dressage phase of the three-day eventing in Olympic equestrian things picked up on Monday for the cross country.
Waking up for the third day in a row at 5am was not, and never is to be fair, fun but at least this time there was more excitement to report on rather than the placid affair of the weekend's dressage.
Actually, the most amusing thing to come from the dressage was the plethora of Hong Kong locals who, like pretty much the rest of the world, had no idea what exactly it entailed and when the horses started moving from one side of the arena to the other many thought it was simply a warm up to a race.
Afraid not, the subtleties of the aforementioned movement scored the riders points - movements only a well-trained equestrian eye could ever spot - so to see many confused faces when it was announced the round was over was pretty comical...well, like I say the dressage was dull so anything slightly amusing seemed hilarious at that stage!
After the cross country Great Britain had moved into a bronze medal position meaning there was a very good chance of medal success come the final day.
So I awoke on Tuesday and, with not having to get to the Olympic venue till four, just loitered around the hotel for a few hours before heading over.
The showjumping, like the dressage, is probably not one for the neutral but, and I never thought I'd say this, it was actually pretty exciting stuff.
GB was never in danger of losing third place but neither did they challenge for a silver but it was the individual section where it became good.
GB rider Tina Cook had moved up to sixth and needed four of the six remaining riders to mess up their jumping round to move into the medal positions. With it being the best riders in the competition remaining that was a tall ask but it happened and there you go, I had a double medal winning team to report on in my first Olympics. Can't really complain!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0371s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb