Giant Buddha


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Lantau Island
August 1st 2011
Published: August 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Well - still unable to upload any photos!
But I will ramble on for a little bit instead - what a treat!

Went to Lantau Island today on the Ferry, then by bus to see the gian Buddha and the Po Lin Monastery. What a fab day we had - the best so far. It was very hot and sunny and I am slightly pink...
in fact I did what all the locals do and bought a brolly!

The Buddhist Monastery was lovely - so peaceful. The monks were chanting while we were there and I lit some incense for lost loved ones. Very good feeling though in that lovely place. Then we had a vegetarian lunch in the Monastery cafe - 3 courses for 5 quid. The soup was a bit like washing up water, but the main course was fine - mushroom and pak choi; bean curd (spicy); boiled rice and tofu with courgettes. Followed by green tea.

After lunch we climbed the 260-odd step to the giant Buddha in the baking sun, but it was worth it for the view from the top.
Taking a bus to Tai O, we found a little fishing village that time has forgotten - all the houses are on stilts. We took a little boat trip for less thatn 2 pounds to see the pink dolphins swimming in the sea - Vikki spottted one just beside the boat & I saw a couple a bit further away.

Probably no blog tomorrow as we are flying to Sydney in the evening. Another overnight flight!

Be back when I suss out the IT facilities in Sydney.....

bye for now (if there's anyone there!!)

Advertisement



1st August 2011

Someone's here
"(if there's anyone there!!)" Following you every step of the way, and enjoying every word.
2nd August 2011

We're here!
How amazing! Looking forwards to reading more updates!
2nd August 2011

I've seen these giant buddha's on the telly, but to actually be stood at the feet of one must be a humbling experience. Just imagine how many prayers have gone up from where you were standing... Keep up the blog, it's fun to follow your adventure.

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0363s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb