HongKong History Museum


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Kowloon
December 12th 2014
Published: December 13th 2014
Edit Blog Post

The objective today was to visit the History Museum and .... it was so!

It was not an early start!

Mainly because I play around in the morning with my lovely new Asus Transformer Notebook downloading and organizing my pics. I did not make it out of the mini-room until after ten.

Using the M.T.R. to get across to Kowloon was easy. Signage is clear, often repeated and without ambiguity. The specific exits are mentioned by A B C and so on sometimes going beyond K. Following the correct exit letter brought me directly to Cameron Road. From there I followed the directional arrows to the History Museum. Easy-Peasy. In no time I had made it over the Chatham Road via the walkway. Along this elevated path the directions were again clearly given. No way one could get lost.

The front of the museum was decorated in light blue, white and gold to advertise the special exhibit Treasures from Tsarkoye Selo, Residence of the Russian Monarchs. For a visit to the Museum which included the Story of HongKong and the Russian exhibit I paid the ridiculously low price of $15HKD. That's $2

Once inside the Museum I found a little cafe and had some breakfast ...coffee, and a fried egg and cheese on very whit bread. I was tasty and the coffee was strong. The cafe like the one at the Maritime Museum has a programme that supports special needs people by allowing them to serve tables.

As all histories of cities, the story here also began with a geological explanation. Fifty percent of HK is made up of rock which formed from Lava and volcanic ash. Thiry percent is granite the result of uplift and erosion. 18,000 years ago the sea level was 130m lower than today and the coastline was120km south of HK. After the last glacial melt the sea rose and filled the valleys giving HK its characteristic ragged edges and multitude of small surrounding islands. There are 208 active archeological sites in the HK area: #79- lime kilns, #88 tram trackway,#106 Mountain lodge site, #114 stone circle, #155 rock carving, #186 Qing Dynasty gravestone.

Missionaries that had iniciated archeological digs are commemorated; Father Maglioni fromitaly and Father Finn from Ireland. It was discovered in Nanyue tombs in Guangzhou that overseas trade had developed as early as 203-111BC. Persioan and Arab traders brought pearls, amber, tortoise shell, rhino horn in exchange for ceramics and silk.

Lime kilns were found near to shore because coral and shells were used to create the lime which was used for fertilizer, to coat walls and floors and for the making of salt.

The layout of the progressive periods covered in the museum was a bit erotic ...no ... eratic! but eventually I made my way thru the first floor. The Punti, the Hakka, the Hoklo and the Boat Dwellers were the groups that inhabited HK. Their traditions, occupations and dress were well represented in various glass vitrines.

And then the Europeans came. The story continues with indentured coolies being brought to gold mines and rubber plantation and HSBC beginning as a bank in response to trade including contraband opium, wool, clothing, guinness stout, raw cotton and others for tea, silk, pocelain, bamboo mats, pigments, sugar and ivory. By 1893 nine hundred and three firms had established themselves in HK and the volume of trade per year equalled 20million pound sterling.

The intricacies of salt making, the production of shrimp sauce, the boats and varied nets used to catch pomfret, grouper, hairtail
The Old Tea ShopThe Old Tea ShopThe Old Tea Shop

Shades of Fortnam and Mason not to mention David's Teas.
and Russel's Snapper continued in the displays. Festive days, wedding traditions, the importance of Taoist priests, The Seven Sister Festival seeking blessings for spinsters and the Bun Festival thanking gods for rescue were all depicted with grandiose artifacts of paper, plaster people and miniature dioramas. The interactive stations bear signs assuring that screens and buttons are sterilized hourly.

By three o'çlock I was forced to go to the Russian exhibit or be indanger of not doing it justice before six. Photos were not allowed. How the exhibit was presented was fabulous. Whole walls were erected to look like sumptuous rooms in Tsarkeyo Selo , the residence of monarchs from Russia beginning with Catherine I and ending with the murder of Nicolas II. Cameras projected three walls and the floor of eight rooms restored in the Palace. Since 1979 when recreation of the Palace began, 33 of the 58 halls have been finished. The Palace had been looted and destoyed during the 28 month occupation by Nazi troops. Many paintings are on display along with treasures direct from Tsarkoye Selo which means, "The Tsars Village". Lots of glass, many clocks and paperweights, some opulent clothing, medals, gold pieces, Meissen porcelain,
Drying FishDrying FishDrying Fish

To preserve the catch fish was salted and then left to dry. Salt was made in huge pools around HK.
a Fabrege egg the size of a loaf of bread, and a panel from the Amber Room ... really. The Amber Room disappeared during the war but in 2003 it was decided to recreate the splendour of the room. Since most of the Palace is a recreation, .... why not. The Agate Room is said to have been completed in 2013.

During my walk thru the exhibit I was always a few steps in front or behind a Cantonese group lead by a very animated speaker. Too bad I understood nada.

The Museum was closing and it was time to find something to eat.

Once on the street I checked the Indonesian Restaurant advertised but decided against it after seeing pictures of the plates on offer. And then I spotted Sichuan - spicy! ... made a fast choice. There were many tables with only one person eating and the most common order was a large yellow bowl of soup with a black spoon and chopsticks. I chose three chillies but the waitress shook her head. I demoted myself to two chillies and she accepted that. AND the soup was heat and spice hot when it arrived. It was the liquid that was most spicy ... so spicy in fact that my saliva ducts worked at super warp!.

I stopped eating the soup and concentrated on the beef balls and the noodles. Could have done with a cup of yogurt.

Headed back from whence I had come and returned thru the water tunnel to Central. It was Friday nite and there was quite a crush of people going in the opposite direction. Since I am still looking for the Laundry I took an alternative route back to the Hotel. Soon I iscovered myself on the street that was lined with bars and masses of people already busy with Happy Hour drinks!

Passing the Fringe Theatre, which is just about next to the MiniCentral Hotel I noticed the playbill and since it was Dickens and it is almost Christmas I bought a ticket. The performance was to begin in 15 minutes at 19:30. OK so it was a bit delayed.

It was a one man show, the UK man portraying himself as Dickens. And he told a story about his writing and acted out some of the better known story lines. The ghost sound effects were a bit questionable but all in all I recognized the references and there were a few good jokes. In the middle of it all I was overcome with a coughing fit and could find no way out. Should have sat myself closer to the door. Didn't think. Anyway, did not choke and I did not disrupt too much. After the hour long programme I had only a very short hop skip and jump to the hotel ... actually two doors down from the Fringe which is housed in a renovated 1913 building.

The hotel does not offer HKplugs so had to buy one for $80HKD. Need it to charge the phone. I think charging it thru the notebook may have affected the computer battery ...or have I mentioned that already.

On the way back this evening saw a post office and will be sending paper stuff back in a large envelope. Have restrained myself from buying anything bigger than a scarf or some beads. There is something wrong with the space bar. It doesnot always progress the curser ... what next?

Long day and no Downton Abbey today but I am snacking on Doritos!!! and am finishing my Merlot.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Bun FestivalBun Festival
Bun Festival

Thousands of buns decorate the 10m high Bun Mountain.
Tsarkoye SeloTsarkoye Selo
Tsarkoye Selo

The whole exhibit was themed in white, blue and gold. Very spectacular. The whole venue felt like it was in the actual Palace.
Friday Evening in th MTR.Friday Evening in th MTR.
Friday Evening in th MTR.

Annoncements were made to direct passengers to other access ppoint since this one was too conjested.


Tot: 0.541s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 57; dbt: 0.192s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb