Hong Kong - the first leg of the tour...


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Kowloon
May 26th 2010
Published: May 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

After a surprisingly quick 11hour flight to Hong Kong (spent watching Avatar and sleeping) we arrived in Hong Kong airport. First impressions driving to through the city in our taxi were that it looked really clean and also very green. Lots more trees and shrubbery in these really well kept gardens everywhere. The huge skyscraper apartment buildings are set against a backdrop of mountains so its pretty dramatic scenery. The driver found our hostel fine but theres only 1 really cramp little lift that we have to take which normally has a queue. The room is small but alright as we don't need much and it has A.C importantly.

We went for a wonder about after putting our bags away and found a really good little noodle bar where we had roast goose in with noodles in oyster sauce and some shrimp wanton, a bit like dumplings wrapped around mashed up shrimp.

In the evening to went to a few bars in search of more western people but most places were pretty deserted. We had a few drinks in an Irish pub but then it filled up with what looked like a load of 50 year old business men. The locals we have spoken to so far have all been friendly and pretty helpful. Following one of their advice we took a taxi to Hong Kong island and the bars were a lot busier here but still only really locals or older white people. We're beginning to think that maybe Hong Kong just isn't a big back packer scene but that doesn't really matter, we'll make more of the sights to see.

We're off to see one of the temples now if we can find it. The best bit so far has been the food.

Love
Joe

Advertisement



31st May 2010

Hey, glad that you have got there ok. My mouth is watering when I hear the food descriptions. If expensive I reckon you should still try everything...you may never have a second chance!! Hope you get to Thailand and do your trip there despite the red shirts. Keep safe. Buff x

Tot: 0.173s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0555s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb