Hong Kong and Macau


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Kowloon
May 12th 2009
Published: October 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hong KongHong KongHong Kong

View from the Bank of China tower
We arrived early on Monday at Hong Kong airport and had to find our way into the city. We hadn't done any research or planning for Hong Kong and it suddenly became a bit of an issue! We spent ages trying to find our way into the city and by the time we got there we were both so bored with aimlessly wondering around we ended up spending a night in a really posh, (for us) hotel with a pool which set us back quite a lot of money. We purchased a lonely planet that evening and went in search of some cheaper accommodation. There is a lack of cheap places to stay in H.K. We were based in Kowloon which was supposedly the cheaper area. We had the smallest room in the world in a huge tower block and were paying about 30 pounds a night! Rip off!

On our first full day in Hong Kong we took a boat over to Hong Kong island and did some sight seeing. We did one of the recommended walks in the lonely planet which took us around the main city and up to the observation deck in the Bank of China
Hong KongHong KongHong Kong

Reflections
building. We got some good views of the city up there. That evening we took a stroll around the night market and got some delicious grub from one of the many food stalls.

The next day was spent much the same, doing lots of sight seeing around the city, at sunset we took the tram up to the 'Peak' which is a huge hill which looks over the whole of Hong Kong. It was a really beautiful sight once the sun went down and all the city lights shone.

On the Friday we found the ferry terminal and got on our way to Macau. The ferry took about an hour and then we got on a free shuttle bus to The Holiday Inn where we were to meet up with Papa Bailey for a couple of nights in the new Las Vegas.

We took a walk around Macau and found the ruins of St. Paul's before finding a lovely looking Thai restaurant where I had a shrimp green curry. Big mistake... HUGE!

Bill had been delayed with his flight so was unable to make it that night so we headed out for a little flutter and
Hong KongHong KongHong Kong

HK from the ground up
an explore of all the casinos. I wasn't feeling my best so didn't make the most of all the free drinks you get when in a casino. Most of the tables were too rich for us but we had some fun playing Roulette for a bit but unfortunately came away worse off, as you do!

I went to bed that night with tummy pains and didn't get much sleep because of the dodgy curry I'd had earlier. I had to spent the whole of the next day in bed feeling absolutely terrible. Matt and Bill had a good night in the casinos. Matt thought he'd put all his poker playing to the test and joined a table in one of the casinos. Unfortunately for him he decided to bet all in on his first hand with a King high flush only to be beaten by an Ace high flush. It happens to the best of us Matt!

Next day we returned to Hong Kong and luckily I was beginning to feel a little better so before we left, the guys showed me round one of the biggest casinos. It was pretty amazing. That evening Bill treated us to
Hong KongHong KongHong Kong

Nibby up at The Peak
a great dinner at Lawrie's Steakhouse. Never seen such huge slabs of meat!

On our last full day in Hong Kong we said our goodbyes to Bill and headed to Ocean Park for a day of fun. We saw some panda's and red panda's and there was a dolphin show. We even had a go on the roller coaster. It was no Alton Towers but still not bad. Once back in our pit of a hotel room we packed up our bags and were ready for the early start and our flight back to the U.K.



Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Hong KongHong Kong
Hong Kong

Night time at The Peak
Hong KongHong Kong
Hong Kong

Night time at The Peak 2
Hong KongHong Kong
Hong Kong

Hong Kong lights show
Hong Kong Hong Kong
Hong Kong

Outside the floating restaurant
Hong Kong Hong Kong
Hong Kong

Floating restaurant
MacauMacau
Macau

Inside the Venetian
MacauMacau
Macau

Cool
MacauMacau
Macau

Inside the Venetian - check out the roof!!!
LawriesLawries
Lawries

Matt & Dad
LawriesLawries
Lawries

Matt & Steak
LawriesLawries
Lawries

All of food!!!!
Ocean ParkOcean Park
Ocean Park

Training Camp
Ocean ParkOcean Park
Ocean Park

Training Camp
Ocean ParkOcean Park
Ocean Park

Red Panda
Ocean ParkOcean Park
Ocean Park

The Giant Panda
Ocean Park Ocean Park
Ocean Park

Thats a cool panama hat!!!
Ocean ParkOcean Park
Ocean Park

Dolphins Jump!!!
Ocean Park Ocean Park
Ocean Park

Dolphins Jump 2


Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 18; qc: 65; dbt: 0.068s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb