Hong Kong


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Kowloon
June 29th 2008
Published: July 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Victoria HabourVictoria HabourVictoria Habour

Rainy days
After flying in a holding pattern for an hour and landing in the tail end of a typhoon it was time to wipe of my cold sweats and get off the plane.

Getting to the hostel was a snap, just jump on a bus from the airport and in about an hour we were in the heart of Kowloon which is to the west of the mainland city and supposedly the most populated area in Hong Kong. So we checked in to our "Hostel" Dragon Hostel, which was more of a collection of shoe box sized rooms in a 17 storey tenement. but the Guy running the show 'stanley' (typical chinese name) was really cool and helpful and the place was super clean and cosy.

Hong Kong! it was time to hit the streets and as the weather was torrential rain we weaved our way through a sea of umbrellas and bought ourselves one too, to say Kowloon is busy is an understatement, and shopping is top of the list for most people her. There's whole streets for Shoes, whole streets for Cameras, Phones, clothes, food, handbags, goldfish?!.... pretty much anything you could want!. We walked around until our feet hurt and our heads were spinning and it was time to hit the shoe box.

For the next three days it was sight seeing firstly we headed to the harbour to view the Hong Kong island city skyline from across the water, something I've seen in countless pictures and T.V programmes but it was still a dream come true to see it for real. Also we went to the island itself and caught the famous peak tram up to Victoria peak for stunning views of the city and then back down to lunch in Soho.

We watched the laser and light show from the mainland which is basically the whole of the waterfront skyscrapers flashing strobing and dancing to music! (brilliant!) we treated ourselves to a couple of nice restaurants and visited Stanley market and the port and basically walked for miles on the city streets.

Its hard to describe it but Hong Kong has such a nice vibe and the place feels so safe and the people are super friendly. All in all its a great mix of New & Old and somewhere we'd like to visit again. We highly recommend it.

P.s this blog is a bit late as were now in China and have been busy busy BUSY!



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Victoria HabourVictoria Habour
Victoria Habour

Bruce Lee Fan Club
KowloonKowloon
Kowloon

Bamboo Scaffolding, widely used across Hong Kong...even for skyscrappers
KowloonKowloon
Kowloon

Goldfish Street
Victora Habour by nightVictora Habour by night
Victora Habour by night

Getting ready for the games
Shoe StreetShoe Street
Shoe Street

In his element van shopping
Knutsford TerraceKnutsford Terrace
Knutsford Terrace

Treating ourselves, western food after the bad chinese the first night!


18th July 2008

grasshopper
Phew! I imagined looking at the pictures and seeing Paul with a shaved head, glad to see you still have hair Paul. Fantastic pictures again. You must have been in heaven in the shoe shops Paul you always did have a shoe fetish. Can't wait to see you both. Love Mum and Dad

Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0949s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb