Fourth of July Junk


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Hong Kong Island
July 4th 2009
Published: July 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday was the 4th of July, which, yet again, I spent outside of the U.S.

For previous 4ths, I've gone clubbing in Egypt, attended parties at the Ambassador's residence in Paris, served barbecue for my neighbors in Germany, watched F-16s dogfight in Tunisia, and this year I went out on a junk cruise.

A junk boat is sort of a misnomer, as it is really just a nice little yacht. You get together about 20 people, find a caterer, buy a lot of booze, and voila - junk boat party.

There were a few of us Americans, but we also celebrated with Aussies and English and Indians.

The catering was mostly Cajun and all American; barbecued ribs, fried chicken, seven-layer dip, deviled eggs, macaroni and cheese, cupcakes, and potato salad. Mmmmmmm....

After about two hours of cruising we dropped anchor, and people swam in the water, some making it to the nearby beach. We drank wine and beer and vodka, sat out on the deck, and generally chilled out. It was not quite as wild as my boat trip in Ha Long Bay (Ah, To Be 20 Again...), which was fine by me.

So, everybody, Happy 4th of July!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



5th July 2009

Hi Becky! Kate and Jack got their post card and we very excited! Also, thank you for printing as the kids usually give up on cursive. Glad you are having more good clean fun!
6th July 2009

And after I told everybody...
...you were going out for a party on a genuine Chinese junk! Oh, well, at least it looks like you weren't riding around on some firetrap garbage scow. Still waiting for that first postcard!
6th July 2009

Junky Boat
Yeah, it was kind of disappointing, but I found out there's only one real historic junk left in Hong Kong, called the Duk Ling. Weather pending, I might try to take a cruise on it, but it has been pouring cats and dogs. Jill said the kids got their postcard, (but that was from Hong Kong, and about a week or so earlier), hope yours doesn't dawdle too long!
8th July 2009

wow, what an adventure!
Hi Rebecca, thanks for sharing your journey with us here! The advice you give is definitely helpful for peeps like me who hope to travel through Southeast Asia as well. Sorry to hear you got sick, but I am glad you are getting along better now. I sure hope that you will still continue on without losing site of what you intended on for your 5 month journey. I will sure to be coming back to read. Oh yes, and how is your budget coming? Is $30/day good to get you through the day?

Tot: 0.178s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.058s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb