The final fling


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Hong Kong Island
October 1st 2008
Published: October 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

I'm actually writing this in London, 3 weeks after we have returned but that sounds so boring i thought i would at least add Hong Kong to the list.

It was fantastic - such a vibrant, exciting place. We loved the energy. It's extremely modern, a real working city - it was a real culture shock coming from Indonesia. If HK was a person it would be a go-getting career girl just searching for the latest label, the next new thing. Shopping seems to be an obsession - all the brands are there and it ain't cheap.

On the flip side, on a journey to Stanley market we turned round bends to see views which felt like the South of France. On another journey it felt like New York then i walked down a street which reminded me of Tel Aviv and every so often you'd have to pinch yourself that you weren't in London or Sydney.

Hong Kong is an inviting place and we went completely mad spending far, far too much but it was hard not to... and after all, it was our last stop. We were very excited towards the end, couldn't wait to see our friends and family - sight-seeing was, if not half, then at least three-quarter hearted.

The trip home was a shocker - 13.5 hours - no sleep, plane either boiling hot or freezing cold. At Heathrow we had to wait in the sky for an additional half an hour in the queue to land, then on the ground we had to wait to get a space at the gate, the immigration queue was another half an hour then they forgot to take our luggage off the plane. Welcome to London!

Seeing mum and dad waiting for us was amazing, if not a little emotional, and it took very little time indeed to get that fantastic feeling of being"home". We saw Alex, Fi and Ollie first thing the next day and that was such a brilliant feeling - Ollie had grown so much, he looked completely different. Unbelievably he remembered our names (well prepped Alex).

And now here we are, slowly adapting to life, new flat, catching up with friends and family, looking for work and amazingly our wonderful trip seems like long, long ago. Thankfully we have this blog - and more importantly Nige's pictures to remember it by.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Until the next time...

Louise and Nige

xx


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0623s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb