Bella senz'anima


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Hong Kong Island
December 12th 2007
Published: December 30th 2007
Edit Blog Post

ChanelChanelChanel

In Peninsula Hotel
After having mounted The Peak yesterday, today we set out to explore the nooks and crannies of the city, more specifically we went to Nathan Road. This is where the famous Peninsula Hotel, Kowloon Park, and Chungking Mansions are all located around. I was interested to see Peninsula Hotel, where room rates start from HK$3700 (which is S$740! *gasp*) to HK$48, 000 (which is almost S$10, 000 *faint*) for the Peninsula Suite.

But first we had to say goodbye to our fabulous suite in the old hotel and try to find our new obscure Island Pacific Hotel, which was located in the middle of Sheung Wan. Finding this hotel was like trying to search for some treasure, because it wasn't conveniently located near any MTR and it took lots of asking around before we found it. The entire building was so normal that we couldn't distinguish it from other buildings, such was its mediocrity. We noticed lots of "outspoken" (euphemism) and "gregarious" (to put it nicely) mainland Chinese at the hotel lobby, and realized this was quite a Chinese hotel, not a very international one.

The room was hopelessly small. There was hardly any space to move around after
Peninsula Hotel LobbyPeninsula Hotel LobbyPeninsula Hotel Lobby

the definition of "self-importance"
we unpacked our luggage on the floor. The one redeeming feature was the beautiful and serene view from the floor-to-ceiling windows. Our room overlooked the harbour, and I love the calm waters. It was so scenic, like a postcard picture.

Anyway, Nathan Road was very busy, as is the rest of Hong Kong generally. By "busy" I mean lots of human and road traffic. Bumping and shoving people seemed to be a Hongkonger's trademark (and they never apologize, of course- very courteous people). That, and ignoring our pleas for simple directions. For me, Hong Kong is "bella senz'anima"- beautiful without soul. Life is too harried, and people have no time to be friendly.

Peninsula Hotel was even greater than we thought: it was like a palace! So grand and opulent. If self-importance could be measured, the lobby of the hotel would no doubt register the highest measurements. There were many of those rich types sitting around to drink tea and eat some delicate pastries, enjoying their afternoon, I'm sure. In the hotel there were many designer boutiques like Chanel and Dior.

After coming out of the hotel, the return to normality could instantly be felt. All the other buildings alongside the Peninsula seemed rather ordinary somehow, and definitely has seen more wear and tear. We went to Chungking Mansions next, a building that looks to be on its last legs. It was so old, I was mistaken for a moment that I was back in Bangkok. Apparently sleazy activities happen on the 2nd floor. Hmmm.

As for Kowloon Park, it is a park like any other. What was nice was taking a short breather on one of the benches, chatting with my love. I loved moments when we had heart-to-heart conversations, finding out more about each other's dreams, aspirations, and frustrations. I felt closer to him after that, and maybe that was why with each passing day our love seemed to grow deeper...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0569s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb