WeLLcome to Hong Kong


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Hong Kong Island » Wan Chai
September 25th 2011
Published: November 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

WeLLcome to Hong Kong!WeLLcome to Hong Kong!WeLLcome to Hong Kong!

I think this is a bank...we saw the sign everywhere!
Wow, Hong Kong is a crazy place! We arrived on Friday, Sept 23 and after a very lengthy walk and ride around the airport, we stored our luggage and headed to meet our friends Maya & Joey at their place in
Causeway Bay.

The number of people was overwhelming. The food was often weird but always delicious. The advertisements/billboards were hilarious. It sort of reminded me of NYC but more crowded. Maya and Joey's apartment was incredibly located right in the centre of the action. I suppose there is "action" everywhere in Hong Kong...but well it was something. When we would step outside it basically felt like we were still inside because the buildings are SO tall that it's very closed in. Everybody lives in a high rise due to space issues and we didn't see one house while we were there.

On Saturday Maya took us out of the city and we went on a beautiful hike and swim in the Victoria Harbour! Except for the terrible blister I got on my foot, we had a splendid time!

There are many Indonesian women in Hong Kong who work as "au pairs", meaning that they live in a
Hilarious billboardHilarious billboardHilarious billboard

I could have spent all my time taking photos of really funny ads.
house with a family and are "domestic assistants". Sunday is their day off and as none of them have their own home, all TEN THOUSAND of them conglomerate on Yee Wo St (where we were staying and in Victoria Park, at the end of the street. So when we stepped out of the apartment on Sunday, it was unbelievable. The women were sitting on the ground, standing around, walking around, talking, reading, laughing, eating -nothing out of the ordinary, it's just that it was SO crowded!!! And noisy!!!

We left Hong Kong late Sunday night and onto our next stop on the way to Darwin: Manila, Philippines. Manila was only an airport stop but little did we know what adventures were awaiting us...

(Keep scrolling down on this page for more photos!)


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Street foodStreet food
Street food

This type of food was available every five steps. Delish.
Row row row your boatRow row row your boat
Row row row your boat

Local woman getting ready to go fishing.
ShrineShrine
Shrine

There were a lot of little and large shrines in a lot of interesting locations. This one was in a back alley jammed between some buildings.
Not a lot of spaceNot a lot of space
Not a lot of space

These are the front doors of people's homes. With my arms extended I could touch both walls at the same time!
Escaping the cityEscaping the city
Escaping the city

We got out of the busy city and went for a nature hike & swim with Maya. The water looked so good I went for a swim in my dress! Wonderful!
What the?What the?
What the?

I don't know. It was live.
Au pair insanityAu pair insanity
Au pair insanity

Not a lot of room to walk!
Dim sum yum yum!Dim sum yum yum!
Dim sum yum yum!

Me, Maya, Joey, their roommate Jason, and Majeed


8th November 2011

Very cool pics and good lookin travel blog. Hope it's a year of fun, new sights, and fresh vibes:)

Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0727s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb