the Wanchai story


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Hong Kong Island » Wan Chai
August 15th 2009
Published: August 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

this is not actually from Hong Kong - but a day or so later from Helsinki. Getting away? - usual panic - all nighter at work, seeing the day arrive and the mist clearing off the harbour was a signal to go home- do not normally see that - from anywhere!. had not really packed and mucked around at home called a cab at 9am - flight at 10.45am so got there only an hour before - but no queue at all at QF which is really unusual - and they ended up switching the HK and Buenos Aires planes (both 747s) so they had to switch spanish food for chinese I guess! so it was 45 mins late leaving- but soem time made up en route so into HK some time after 6pm.

the HK hotel in Wanchai was quite good and room a reasonable size = at the airport it was on the list for hotels but shown as full - so prebooking was good and I did not get there til 7pm or so. the airport train there is just so good for getting to town. I decided to stay in Wanchai on the Island this time (last time on Kowloon) s only really there one day- and did not really venture away from Wanchai at all, just walking around- could have gone up the Peak if I had got myself organised as the weather had cleared - it was a bit rainy in the morning although I did not get to use my umbrella. spent half the afternoon in the Wanchai computer supermarket - and discovered that the Canon flash for my camera was a mere 300AUD equiv - at home 475 is the absolute cheapest price - so decided to buy one, altho not a big fan of flash but it is one of those things you sorta have to have sometimes. I also bought a cheap light tripod for about $20AU (my other one wighs 2.5kg so did not make it into the bag - which only weighed 15,1kgs at checkin which was nice- the wheely pack is about 2kgs heavier than my old brown Lowe, now pensioned off North Africa when the zips gave up the ghost. I decided I really did myself too light on clothes like cotton shirts and bought myself a groovy Vespa Tshirt, & a short sleeved cotton one in a sale which is very nice.

So that was my day in HK - then off at ard 6.30am to get to the airport. the downtown checkin in HK is also so great. I got some bakery type things for brekky at the airport - then actually had to race a bit to get to the gate before it closed at 9.o5 - otherwise they might have left me. Finnair flight was an Airbus 340 - and had a window - with view of the wing mostly. tried to nap mostly on the plane but saw most of the movie Sunshine Cleaning which I did not see at Dendy - and on the Helsinki city snip from a UK TV show the host stayed at my hotel the Klaus K so it must be groovy! got the bus downtown to the rail station from the airport which was 4 euro and took about 35 mins. then wandered around in circles around my hotel - Helsinki is so small the scale of the map was misleading. as I had had 2 meals on the plane decided I did not need another - but rather an early night at 7.40pm. as HK is 5 hrs difference it really was rather late for me!

Advertisement



17th August 2009

Happy travels
Great to know you are well and spending up large. Keep safe and enjy your trip.
17th August 2009

Tha Huds goes outernational
Ha you cut it fine with your flights n' airport arrivals Huds, be careful you gunna miss a flight sometime soon! Good to hear all is well thus far. Onya, Brian
19th August 2009

Vespa T-Shirt
Hi Michael, glad to hear you bought Vespa T-shirt. Happy travelling cheers Garry

Tot: 0.173s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 62; dbt: 0.1234s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb