Hong Kong


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Hong Kong Island » The Peak
January 29th 2012
Published: January 29th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Symphony of LightsSymphony of LightsSymphony of Lights

The Symphony Lights is a nightly attraction on both sides of the harbour.
Our time in Hong Kong was limited. We arrived at our hostel around midnight Thursday night after an pleasant experience going through immigration at HKG. Our hostel was not great, but fortunately we were only sleeping there. Out of the places we've stayed at, we paid the most and had the least value. If anything, I think that encouraged us to get out more during our time there.

We had to change rooms at the hostel at noon on Friday (the room we'd booked had been given away by the time we arrived Thursday night), so we stuck around until then. After, we went out for lunch and went to a couple neighbouring hotels for some flyers about local attractions. We decided to sign up for one of the Gray Line tours of Hong Kong. We had a really friendly sales associate that helped us navigate our way downtown. She recommended a few things to check out on our own on Friday before doing the tour Saturday.

We ended up exploring one of the markets, seeing the Symphony of Lights show on the harbour and just wandering the Golden Mile. I felt much more comfortable once I had a
Victoria PeakVictoria PeakVictoria Peak

The view of Kowloon from Victoria Peak.
map and was not aimlessly wandering like Griff wanted to do.

Saturday was the Gray Line tour. We started by going to the Man Mo Temple. I'm glad that I visited a temple during the trip. I'm not a religious person by any means, but I think it's important to take in that aspect of the local culture. Afterwards, we took the Peak Tram to Victoria Peak. You can see the whole skyline from there! We had debated going on Friday, but it was too cloudy/hazy. The view was lovely. Next, we went to Aberdeen fishing village. I jumped at the opportunity to take a Sampan (fishing boat) through the harbour. Following that, we had lunch at Jumbo, the largest floating restaurant in the world. Queen Elizabeth has eaten there! Finally, we went to Stanley Market, one of the biggest markets on Hong Kong Island.

In the evening, we stopped at McDonald's for dinner. I had an Egg McMuffin. Gotta love that I can get breakfast food at McDonald's at 8 o'clock at night. We then wandered towards the Star Ferry pier and saw the clock tower. It was a great end to a busy day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

New Career Path?New Career Path?
New Career Path?

Kate rides a Sampan through Aberdeen fishing village.
Kung Hei Fat Choi!Kung Hei Fat Choi!
Kung Hei Fat Choi!

Chinese New Year greetings from the Clock Tower.


Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0939s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb