The best of Hong Kong


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Hong Kong Island » Aberdeen
January 16th 2011
Published: January 31st 2011
Edit Blog Post

After being in Hong Kong for a few days we were getting to know the underground and where to go. There were many exciting things to do but my favourite two were Disneyland and Ocean Park

To get to Disney we had to change trains 4 times and then we got on a Micky Mouse train at a place called Sunny Bay that took us all the way to Disney. The windows were shaped like Micky’s ears and there were statues of famous Disney characters all over the train. It made me really excited.

Hong Kong Disney is just like the Disney land that we went to in Paris but quite a lot smaller and we could easily do everything in 1 day. The best thing that we went on was Space Mountain roller coaster. It is a dark roller coaster lit by lots of stars that goes really fast. You feel like your tummy is falling out.

The Chinese people thought I was really different and they kept asking mum if they could take my photo. I felt a little bit like Mickey Mouse. I didn’t really like it.

Other amazing things that we went on were racing cars, Buzz Lightyear ride, the spinning T cups and an 4D cinema of Disney’s Orchestra. It felt like things were flying out of the screen and I kept ducking. IT was a really great day.

My best day was going to Ocean Park. Ocean Park is really really big and is on a really big hill. It has lots of animals that are Chinese and there are also shows and lots of rides. Its like a fun park and a Zoo all in one.

The best animal that we saw was the Pandas. There were lots of them. Mum said that there are no Pandas even in the Zoos at home and this was the first time I have ever seen a real panda. Pandas come from China and they are an Endangered. That means that there are not many of them left in the wild and there is a danger that they may all die out and there would be no pandas. The Chinese are lending Pandas to Edinburgh Zoo next year. They looked so cute and cuddly. There were quite a few Red Pandas too. They looked exactly the same as the ones at the Highland Wildlife Park.

We also went to the Dolphin show which was amazing. There were 4 dolphins that did lots and lots of tricks jumping in the air and even pushing the trainer in the air. It was really exciting to watch. There are lots of Bottle nose Dolphins in the South China Sea. There are also lots of Sharks.

A really cool place in the park was the aquarium that had all sorts of really strange looking fish. All these fish in the pictures are all fish that live in the seas off China and Hong Kong. They are really weird looking .
All the rides in the park are at the top of the hill. We took a cable car ride to the top over all the trees and hill side. The cable car took us up really high and we got amazing views over Hong Kong. There was water and boats everywhere. You could really tell that we were on an Island. Ocean park was a really exciting and fun day.


In Hong Kong there are lots of ways of getting around. Because Hong Kong is a harbour city you could travel by boat everywhere. Another way would be to use the underground as we did. Its not quite like the London Underground. In Hong Kong you wait at doors for the trains to come and then you squash in in a line if the train is busy. In London everyone just pushes you.

There is also a tram in Hong Kong that goes through all the main streets. You hop on the back and put your money in the slot. Finally lots of people travel by bus but they are really small busses compared to ours. I really like travelling on the tube and the boats. Mum said that Hong Kong is on the South China Sea and that hundreds of years ago there were lots of pirates on this sea.
The food in Hong Kong is mostly Chinese but there is still lots of food that we like, like MacDonalds. There are lots of noodles and fresh fish and sauces. Mum tried to get me to eat some but I really did not want to until I had a Thai Curry with noodles that was really nice.

The language in Hong Kong people speak is mostly Cantonese, Mandarin and English. Cantonese and Mandarin are both Chinese but they are spoken in different parts of China.

Hong Kong has a past that is full of wars. One of these wars meant that Hong Kong was under British rule for a long time until it was agreed about 10 years ago to give Hong Kong back to China. That is why there are so many signs in English and lots of people speak English in Hong Kong. This is slowly changing as the government introduce more and more Chinese culture into the city.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



8th February 2011

The Fish
Hi Nia, Hope you are having a great time on your travels. I really like the pictures of the very ugly fish they are so cool. The whole class laughed at the very ugly fish. Have fun keep us posted with pictures. Love Nathan

Tot: 0.171s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1093s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb