Georgia & Armenia 2017


Advertisement
Georgia's flag
Asia » Georgia
March 17th 2017
Published: December 15th 2017
Edit Blog Post

MAP - CLICK TO ENLARGEMAP - CLICK TO ENLARGEMAP - CLICK TO ENLARGE

Georgia/Armenia map w/Route. Doesn't have all the little villages, nature preserves or vineyards we visited, but gives an overview of our travels
YOU CAN CLICK ON ANY PHOTO TO ENLARGE IT, THEN GO BACK TO THE BLOG OR GO THROUGH THE PHOTOS (41 TOTAL - CLICK ON NEXT OR PREVIOUS) IN THAT ENLARGED FORMAT. I PUT LOTS OF INFORMATION IN THE PHOTO CAPTIONS SO YOU CAN SKIP THE NARRATIVE, JUST LOOK AT THE ENLARGED PHOTOS AND CAPTIONS AND YOU'LL STILL GET MORE INFORMATION THAN YOU EVER WANTED. TO RETURN TO THE BLOG ENTRY, JUST CLICK YOUR BACK BUTTON OR ON THE NAME OF THE BLOG, BELOW THE NUMBERS ON THE LEFT.



As you have probably figured out, these travel blogs are a way for Bernard and me to keep track of our adventures. I can't tell you how many times we've referred back to one of our over 60 travel blogs looking for various details, maps, dates, etc. That said, feel free to enjoy the photos and just skim or ignore the text.


The Republic of Georgia and Armenia 2017


Republic of Georgia



Before the Pictet law competition (details below) which brought us to Georgia, we stayed in the capital of Tbilisi, Georgia for three days to see this picturesque city, recover from our travels and get
Mestia - Our Favorite VillageMestia - Our Favorite VillageMestia - Our Favorite Village

Those are high mountains on the border with Russia in the background. 3rd to 6th Century towers built by clans for defense. Mestia was known for its blood feuds. We had a foot of snow while there - couldn't drive to Ushguli, the highest continuously inhabited place in Europe, even with 4-wheel drive.
the lay of the land. We stayed at a hotel near the center and walked everywhere enjoying the old buildings, churches, modern galleries, museums old and new and, of course, eating. Turns out that Georgians LOVE cilantro, I do NOT. I learned the word for cilantro in Georgian and had to always ask to have it omitted from my dishes, which wasn't always doable. On the up-side, Georgians love wine and indeed wine making may have been invented here, so good wine was readily available.



A day before the competition we met our Pictet family in Tbilisi and drove with some of them (4 hours w/stop for dinner) to the spa town of Borjomi where the competition was held. What a lovely little town Borjomi is!! We were in a 5-star hotel - no, that isn't always the case with Pictet, but Georgia had reasonably-priced upscale hotel accommodations. The competition is a full week, so having a nice place to stay, with good food, wine and lovely hikes nearby made this week particularly enjoyable.



This Pictet IHL Competition was my sixth year and Bernie's ninth. Pictet is in a different country every year. We
Tbilisi, GeorgiaTbilisi, GeorgiaTbilisi, Georgia

Tbilisi side street cafe - delicious food; wait staff spoke amazing English
took the opportunity after this 2017 competition to tour in Georgia and Armenia. In 2018 the Pictet competition will be held in Macedonia - another new country for us.



In Pictet there are 48 teams of 3/144 students. Two-thirds/32 teams compete in English; one-third/16 teams in French. The English teams are split in two with 16 teams in each group. Bernie is a judge/juror and works primarily with one 16-team English-speaking group; there is cross-over of jurors/judges when it comes to the semi-finals and the final.



I do administration work, which includes helping the 144 student competitors; I have primary responsibility for one group of 16 teams (48 students), 4 juror/judges and 4 student tutors (past participants who mentor the competing students). I also work with approx. 10 additional administrative staff.



It is always an exciting, exhilarating and exhausting week with all the hustle and bustle, interacting with students from all over the world, getting to spend time with our Pictet family that we see only once a year. We are always cheering for all the teams, but alas a winner must prevail and this year it was the team from
Tbilisi viewTbilisi viewTbilisi view

We walked up the mountain and discovered there was a cable car to ride. Oh well.
the University of Buenos Aires, Argentina. Latin America had a great showing, in addition to Argentina's win, the teams from Ecuador and Peru made it to the semi-finals. Also in the semi-finals were teams from the UK, Switzerland, Australia, France, Belgium, two teams from Canada, and two teams from the USA: NYU and Harvard. Argentina, NYU and Belgium were the finalists. I hate to brag, but the Argentine team was one that I took care of, so perhaps that little extra TLC helped give them the edge? Just saying.



After the Pictet competition concluded Bernie and I hired a car and driver/tour guide (Irakli - 'ee rack lee') to see more of Georgia and a bit of Armenia. We drove all over the country; west from Borjomi to Kutaisi, into a nature preserve toward Zugdidi; from Zugdidi we headed north and east into the mountains to the village of Mestia where we got snowed in; back tracked to Kutaisi then to Gori (Stalin's home town); next to the Uplistsikhe caves (date to 1st millennium BC) and back to Tbilisi; then east into the wine country; returned to Tbilisi and drove to the border with Armenia for transfer
Tbilisi River HomesTbilisi River HomesTbilisi River Homes

These homes had great loggia/porches, but some looked rather precarious to me
to our Armenian car driver/tour guide for our trip to the capital of Yerevan; we flew home from Yerevan. The map I've included doesn't have all the little wineries or villages we visited, and those were some of our favorites. The map just gives an overview of our route.



We stayed at inns mostly where our evening meal was included and always prepared by the owners - what a treat!! There was usually homemade wine, as well as lovely food. Irakli would call ahead to our upcoming inn every morning to make sure my food was cilantro-free that evening. That was not alway easy because the soups, for example, were prepared early in the day or even the day before. I would get a substitute, and it was always good.





Our favorite village in Georgia was Mestia, way up north on the border with Russia. In this remote region the many majestic 3rd to 6th Century towers were still standing - all over the place; from our inn we could see 6 of them and they scattered throughout the countryside. These towers were built for defense as the clans of the area
Tbilisi At NightTbilisi At NightTbilisi At Night

This was taken from a great restaurant named 144 Stairs - yes, we counted and they were exactly right.
were big into blood feuds.



From Mestia we were scheduled to drive to the highest continuously occupied village in Europe, Ushguli,but when we got a foot of snow even our 4-wheel drive couldn't make it up the windy, steep country roads.



To make up for our not getting to Ushguli, when we were back in Tbilisi just before flying home, the tour company treated us to a dinner theater show, which was fabulous - beautiful restaurant, front-row seats, and we were told to order as much food and wine as we wanted. Of course that is lost on Bernardo and me as we don't eat much in the evening and B doesn't drink alcohol, but that isn't to say we didn't enjoy it VERY much - the food was delicious and the traditional music and dance top-notch.



I've put detailed captions on the photos, so have kept this narrative short. Suffice it to say we LOVED Georgia - the food, the people; the sites are first-rate, well-maintained; the culture interesting; and it is safe place to travel. It is a majority Christian country with churches, chapels, basilicas and cathedrals going back
Ancient Jvari Church/Monastery Ancient Jvari Church/Monastery Ancient Jvari Church/Monastery

On a hill just outside the town of Mtskheta not far from Tbilisi is the 6th Century Jvari Monastary, which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site
millennia; English is widely spoken; it is relatively reasonably priced, definitely a travel value.


Armenia




Irakli drove us from Tbilisi to the border with Armenia (1 1/2 hrs.) where he connected us with our Armenian driver. We only had three days in Armenia, so headed to the capital of Yerevan (5 hrs./4 driving, 1 for lunch) and a super little boutique hotel right in the middle of town.



The drive to Yerevan was beautiful, along the huge Lake Sevan and through the mountains. Along the way we stopped at a roadside cafe for lunch - mistake!! Actually the food was delicious, but later that day I was soooooo happy to have a beautiful, modern bathroom because I was spending a LOT of time in it, and all the next day too. Bernie went out walking/exploring without me until I was more or less recuperated. My stomach was still finicky, but B had found this great little restaurant that had wonderful soups, middle-eastern food as well as local favorites, so we ate just about every meal there - me with the soup and B with the more interesting entrees.



We didn't
Two Rivers Meet in MtskhetaTwo Rivers Meet in MtskhetaTwo Rivers Meet in Mtskheta

One river, the Aragvi, is carrying more silt from the mountains and flowing into a lower, clearer river, the Mtkvari
take an official tour of Yerevan, just followed out guide book's walking tour and felt we saw the most interesting sites of the city - they were fascinating to us, the weather was lovely and we believe we get a better feel for a city by exploring on foot.



All too soon it was time to fly back to Arizona and since it was April, we were happy to be heading back to spring in the desert. Spring is everybody's favorite time of year in Tucson when it seems all of nature is turning green, flowers, shrubs and plants are blooming and trees are leafing. Yes, we feel truly blessed to be leading the life we do.







DON'T FORGET TO LOOK AT THE PHOTOS BELOW (VERY BOTTOM, BELOW THE AD, OUR PROFILE, THE BLOG OPTIONS, NORTH AMERICA, TRVELBLOG AWARDS, TOP PHOTOS - YES, RIDICULOUS!!) AND GO TO THE OTHER PAGES - 41 TOTAL - (CLICK ON 'NEXT' AT BOTTOM OF EACH PAGE).


Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 28


Advertisement

Crown Plaza/Jean-Pictet IHL CompetitionCrown Plaza/Jean-Pictet IHL Competition
Crown Plaza/Jean-Pictet IHL Competition

Every year this international humanitarian law competition takes place in a different county. This year (29th) was held the Republic of Georgia in the beautiful spa town of Borjomi.
Quaint Spa Town of BorjomiQuaint Spa Town of Borjomi
Quaint Spa Town of Borjomi

Borjomi is famous for its curative waters - to bathe in and to drink
Pictet Finalist 2017Pictet Finalist 2017
Pictet Finalist 2017

University of Bueno Aires won the Jean-Pictet IHL Competition in Borjomi, Georgia. Jimena, Alan and Juan did a superb job - obviously!!
The 2017 Pictet Family The 2017 Pictet Family
The 2017 Pictet Family

Every year 144 students from all over the world take part in this prestigious law competition.
Corinne and KathyCorinne and Kathy
Corinne and Kathy

This will be my 7th year with Pictet and Corinne and I have worked closely together every year
American University TeamAmerican University Team
American University Team

These lovely young ladies also competed in the Clara Barton competition in DC just before Pictet, so we had a special bond; they are true foodies and bowed to their superior knowledge of Georgian cuisine.
Kathy & BernieKathy & Bernie
Kathy & Bernie

Pictet Closing Ceremonies - the students often bring gifts and B has several fabrics from Asia around his neck
On the Road to KutaisiOn the Road to Kutaisi
On the Road to Kutaisi

Our guide picked us up in Borjomi after the law competition and we spent a week touring Georgia and then 3 days in Armenia
Kutaisi Gas LinesKutaisi Gas Lines
Kutaisi Gas Lines

It was expensive to underground the piping and the town wanted gas, so this was the solution. Notice the pipes go over roads and aren't really very high; made me wonder about a tall truck taking out one of the lines - yikes!!
Bagrati's Cathedral in KutaisiBagrati's Cathedral in Kutaisi
Bagrati's Cathedral in Kutaisi

Georgia is a predominately Christian country so the churches, chapels and cathedrals old and new were beautiful. This is Bagrati's Cathedral and dates from the 11th Century
Kutaisi Fresh MarketKutaisi Fresh Market
Kutaisi Fresh Market

Get your room temperature chicken here!!
Kutaisi MarketKutaisi Market
Kutaisi Market

The hanging items are nuts wrapped in fruit skins (like the rolled fruit things kids eat here) - good for travel and preservation.
Sataplia Nature ReserveSataplia Nature Reserve
Sataplia Nature Reserve

Bernard and Irakli (ee rack lee) - he was a great guide and driver. He called ahead every day to our accommodation place to make sure there was no cilantro in my food. They LOVE cilantro in Georgia.


Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0626s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb