Calling the cops and chronicles on our last day in Georgia


Advertisement
Georgia's flag
Asia » Georgia » Tbilisi District
September 23rd 2022
Published: September 23rd 2022
Edit Blog Post

Day 14 Georgia. Fri 23rd Sep

Calling the cops and chronicles on our last day in Georgia



Another late start on our last day here as, AGAIN, we didn’t set alarms. We walked down to Meidan Square to order a Bolt as it’s a bit of a maze where our guesthouse is.

Who should we see on the square but our rip-off taxi driver from the other day. He pretended not to remember us but Claire was straight in there, soon accompanied by me. He used the usual excuses then offered to take us somewhere for free, then offered to take us to the airport for free tomorrow, then offered us 50 lari back…. He had rippped us off for about 130 lari and obviously knew he was in the wrong.

Claire went to call the police in the middle of all this but the number didn’t work so she did some super acting and pretended she was calling them. We kept saying no to his offers, he brought in a translator and moaned to his mates. He said if we called the police we would get nothing. So Claire did call the police. He then offered us 100 lari, which I took from him.

We said we would accept that and, as Claire went to cancel the police, they turned up. They took details of Claire and him and we said it was sorted and sorry we had to call them. Taxi git had still made too much money but it was definitely a victory for us, plus our complaint is now on file so hopefully he won’t try it again. Claire hoped the cops took him round the back and beat him up, but getting most of our money back and him being on police record will do. We feel better! The cop actually told us to use Bolt in future so we said we already had it thanks to taxi git.

We walked away and ordered a Bolt.

Dimitri the Bolt driver said he spoke about seven languages but English wasn’t one of them. That’s fine mate, I only really know one! He spoke a bit of English, took us where wanted to go and didn’t rip us off. We said thank you in English, German, Georgian and Greek.

So now we were at the Chronicles of Georgia which a previous guide had recommended. We really didn’t expect the monument to be as huge as it was….it is massive! There are a number of columns, all with carvings on, and it is very impressive. One of the towers and the small neighbouring chapel appear to be called Stonehenge so maybe that’s where they got their inspiration?

We walked down the hill to a reservoir which had a bit of a stony beach that some locals were treating like it was an actual beach. As it was hot and sunny it did sort of work even though the area was a bit gammy. No toilets for example and the two cafes were run down and only seemed to have drinks. I wouldn’t recommend visiting.

We sat in the shade writing blogs and….gulp….relaxing….. Claire even got her macro lens out to scare off all the bugs and butterflies. It’s like a holiday! Then the wind started building up so we caught a Bolt back to the square, had a meal while watching the police hassle all the taxi drivers….ahem…. And then we quickly rushed back to our guesthouse as the rain started.

After some time reading and writing we headed out for one last walk in Tiblisi. Claire found there was a Museum of Selifies only about 30 minutes walk away and it was only 1 lari to get in. On the way we walked down a street I labelled Hassle Street. It’s one of those roads with restaurants either side and someone at every restaurant hassling you to come in. I know they have a job to do, I’ve done it myself in the past, but it is annoying.

I also tried a local delicacy for the first (and last) time today. It’s called churchkhela and is walnuts on a string, dipped in grape juice, laced with sugar I think. The grape juice goes solid but a bit pliable. It was okay, too sweet for Claire, and I won’t be rushing to have any more.

So we get to aforementioned museum and it’s 20 lari to get in. Too dear and we haven’t got that much cash left anyway. I decide we should walk back a different way to avoid Hassle Street so we cross the river and start walking along a pavement. Then the pavement stops but the road is really wide. Then the road narrows and it’s about 4-5 lanes depending in how tney’re driving. So we walk on the wall.

There’s a road just above us and a thick metal pipe to cling on to so we drag ourselves up a dangerous slope……to find ourselves trapped behind two locked gates. We clamber down the dangerous slope clinging on to the thick metal pipe and make our way along the wall again. That way becomes unpassable so it appears to be either go all the way back or cross the road…..in the dark….

The usual bumper to bumper Tiblisi traffic is actually moving for once and we’re clinging on to trees waiting for a gap to cross. And then a guy comes walking along the road, gives us a funny look and just carries on heading into the traffic. Sod it we think, we walk at the side of the road and make it to safety.

Only us eh…..

Claire had long shorts and sandals on and needed a shower when we got back. Best move on….

Summary! Georgia is fantastic and you should visit soon. So much to see, so much to do and prices usually are very good. If you avoid the aformentioned ‘tourist’ taxis you’ll be okay and make sure you do the trips as you’ll see so much more. Gamorjoba are the best tour company. I can’t argue for travelling around but staying in one place and doing day trips is very much recommended ,especially if you find somewhere decent to stay. I’d still like to see Svaneti at least but no-one has sold me on the idea of going anywhere near Batumi-the Bolt guy today described it as a mini-Dubai…..no thanks!

If you’re disabled or struggle with steps and hills I’m afraid this really isn’t the place for you. The minimum amount of steps to climb to get to anything interesting is usually fifty, the maximum is off the chart. If you can make it though, it is worth it.

I know I’ve mentioned grumpy service but no-one has been rude. The people generally just ignore you, even away from the tourist spots and I’ve never felt even slightly unsafe anywhere. I’d much rather be ignored than constantly hassled.

We fly home tomorrow so this should be my sign-off from here….unless things go wrong….then I’ll be back for a rant at someone!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.175s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 67; dbt: 0.1066s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb