TBILISI REVISITED


Advertisement
Georgia's flag
Asia » Georgia » Tbilisi District » Tbilisi
October 3rd 2010
Published: November 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Tbilisi once again, after a 3 hour trip from Kazbegi, we arrived late afternoon and said our goodbyes to Juan as he goes to stay in the city while we took the metro to the train station, it was so crowded and busy and took awhile to buy the chips for the train, then I realized its the end of the month and everyone is queueing up to buy new metro cards for the month or something. Everyone is staring at us again in the train, Till said I should be used to it by now, somehow I never did. At the trains station we were told the train is fully booked and we have no choice but to just buy our ticket for the next day and stay the night in Tbilisi, problem is we dont have the name or even address of the Tbilisi hostel Juan is staying in. We have to find an internet cafe but it was full so we have to wait awhile then back to the metro and tried to buy a sim card to call the hostel but it was already closed, I begged the lady cashier in the big supermarket in the train station if she can call them for me and she did, bless her, we have dorm beds waiting for us we just need to get there.

Arrived at Avlabari stop of the metro no problem but we got pointed to the Tbilisi "hotel" by a street vendor when we asked for directions, and took an hour to sort ourselves and finally find our way there, an Azeri boy helped us ask questions and walked with us to the street, bless him for taking the time. At the hostel we got settled and found our Juan, surprised at us turning up, we all went out to the old town for dinner, at a shawarma stand. Till and I went back to the hostel, our boy Juan stayed in the old town to party! People in the hostel are quite noisy, a bunch of Israelis talking at the top of their voice, Till got up and asked them to shut up, everyone in our room were giggling watching him tell them off. I did not sleep well, a dude in the corner of the room was snoring loud, I clapped I made noises no effect!

Groggy and moody I told the boys we should go for breakfast and so we did at a small cafeteria near the metro stop, the woman there spoke English and helped me out buy a sim card, then off to town to be tourists again, we climbed to the tower, windy and cold, we got stopped by police at the top where the Mother Georgia statue was and gave us watermelons, very nice of them. We walked around for hours then it started to drizzle so we went back to the hostel and chill, I cooked dinner so we have full stomachs in the train, I chat up with an Iranian backpacker, interesting man. Rob a guy we met in Kazbegi came and gave me tips on where to stay in Mestia, with phone numbers and all, really helpful. The we set off to the train station and took our comfortable train cabins for Svaneti region.


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



30th November 2010

Gil.
Did you go inside the stinky Sulphur baths again? I see it in the pictures. Angiii

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0296s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb