Seaside City


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China
April 5th 2016
Published: July 5th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 30.5969, 103.982

This place has everything and is now one of my favourite places ever! Yes, it does have the almost ghostly atmosphere of any new Chinese shopping mall. Everything is incredibly superficial and there's barely anybody there (apart from the thumb twiddling staff) but that just adds to its charm. It was a winner for Isaac the minute he spotted a giant moving brachiosaurus and a t-Rex at the front. They even made him get over the taxi temper tantrum over his seatbelt that wouldn't click! Seaside City is about half an hour out of the centre, quite near to the airport. Our main reason for visiting this place was for its giant new aquarium but as we went inside, we realised there was so much more to offer- illuminated train ride, dinosaur park, children's play centre, an ice rink and endless places to drink coffee and eat food. The aquarium itself is superb! When I saw pictures of whale sharks on the adverts, I hadn't for one moment believed they actually had them but they certainly did in a tank that is reminiscent of Dubai and is in the Guinness book of world records for being the largest fronted aquarium window in the world. The underwater tunnel was breathtaking and we were the only people there apart from the divers. The rest of the aquarium was top notch: Huge tanks; healthy fish; a wonderful variety of exhibitions. They even had a mermaid show!
Isaac's wish came true and we visited the dinosaur park. This again was excellent. Fantastic animatronics and very atmospheric. We had our own guide! The only downside once that once out Isaac had a full on 'I want to stay!' tantrum! The glistening marble floors of the shopping mall are great for kicking around in circles!! Exhausted, both children fell asleep so we were able to have a drink overlooking the aquarium. Bliss.

When we eventually got back to Chengdu, we had a hard time finding somewhere to eat still open but managed to find a yummy 'dry pot' restaurant. A very satisfying day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0499s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb