Kowloon Walled City


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China
April 8th 2010
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 22.3317, 114.189

Today we decided to go to Kowloon Walled City Park. This used to be a 'no mans' land that was not ruled by England or China. For 30 years this area had high rates of prostitution, gambling and drug use. It also housed a lot of illegal doctors and dentists with Chinese qualifications and years of experience, but lacking the expensive licences required to practice in the rest of the Colony They set up their clinics on the edges of the City and charged their patients a fraction of what they would pay elsewhere. It is so hard to imagine what life would have been like in this place. When the buildings were pulled down, a park was erected in place of this city as a memorial to the walled city and the people who lived and dies there. We spent a lot of time walking around and reading the history of the Walled City. It would have been great to spend more time wandering around the gardens but it was raining way too hard for that to happen. We all put on our rain coats and ponchos and headed out to the road to find a taxi.

We all squashed into a taxi (well – the females of the group did anyway – Andy and the driver had heaps of room!!) and headed off to the Ladies Market. We went to Maccas for lunch first then headed down the lane that contained the market. It was fantastic – quite different to the night market we go to. There were heaps of iPod touch and iphone covers and not as many gadgets for men. We had a great time walking back and forth – such a great time that Andy decided to leave us at the market and he headed back to the hotel.

After we finished shopping (well, when we thought it was time to go anyway......) we caught bus back to the hotel.This was a VERY long bus trip for the person who was BUSTING to go to the toilwt!!!

We all walked around the streets near the hotel until we came across a nice restuarant for tea. This was our last night in Hong Kong so it was lovely to have a great meal together before we start our seperate trips home.

Back to the hotel and said our good byes to the Fishers then headed back to our room to do the last minute packing.


Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0276s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb