Our first day in Hong Kong


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China
April 1st 2010
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 22.2634, 114.159

When we got to Hong Kong airport, we made our way to the baggage carousel to get our suitcases. In KL, we were able to check our cases in at the main train station – meaning we didn't have to take them on the train ourselves. It also means you can get rid of your bags and go shopping/sightseeing etc for the rest of the day. It also meant that the suitcases made their way to the airport REALLY early. This meant that we waited and waited for our bags to get off the plane. There was only about 10 others waiting with us when the bags finally arrived. We quickly made our way through customs and out to the bus stop. We found where to buy the tickets and jumped on the bus into Hong Kong. We got off the bus to be greeted by 5 or 6 men. They helped get the bags off the bus and onto the footpath. At this stage, I start to worry – I didn't want them to steal the bags. They were putting business cards in our faces offering accommodation at local hotels. Who would get to a city at 12.30 at night and not have accommodation already booked??? I guess quite a few to have this many men at the stop. We got our bags back and somehow pushed our way through. We made our way to the hotel – was very happy when we saw it, only to not find the entrance. They are renovating the hotel and had shut and taped up the front doors. After asking someone for help, we finally found the reception, got our key and made our way up to the room. At about 1am, we got into bed.

We woke up to an SMS from Andy saying they would be at the hotel in 30 mins. We got up and dressed and waited..... and waited.... Their room wasn't quite ready so they went to the shops to buy drinks etc first. Finally met up with them – they on the same level as us – just other end of corridor.

Andy had bought us all a Hong Kong sim card and an octopus card. We brought spare phones from Australia to use with the cards – a lot cheaper to call each other this way. The octopus cards are used for everything. They are re-chargeable cards - same size as a debit card – and can be scanned to get train/bus/ferry tickets as well as using the credit to purchase groceries, Maccas and other items. Makes it easier as you don't have to worry about cash.

We all went out and caught The Star Ferry to the other side then another Ferry. We were going to catch a bus back to the hotel but wasn't sure which way to go to get to the bus stop so figured it'd be easier to take two taxis. The taxi let us all get in together - the four girls in the back and Andy in the front.

Mum, Hayley and I walked to the supermarket so we could buy some groceries.

Andy rang an old neighbour from Glen Waverley, Ian, who is in Hong Kong for the day with his Chinese girlfriend Emily from Beijing. They met us at the hotel and we all caught the Star Ferry then the Peak Tram up the peak. It is amazing how steep the line was – we were all hoping the breaks didn't fail!!

We walked through the large shopping centre – all geared up to catch the tourists (with the tourist prices!!). To get outside we had to go up an escalator, then another escalator, then another......

We finally made it outside to the great view of Hong Kong. We took lots of photos!

We got a bus back down. It was a straight track to the top and a VERY windy trip down to the bottom going via the road! We made our way back to the hotel.

Emily helped us order some take-away food which we all ate together in Uncle Andy's room. We watched the light show from the hotel room. Uncle Andy was able to tune in to the music via the radio – we can see why he loves this room so much. It was a fantastic show – and we were able to watch it in the warmth and comfort of the hotel room.

We all fell into bed at the end of the day!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



3rd April 2010

Well I'm glad you're all together now. - It was good to catch up with an old friend - how did you enjot the peak?Was the view clear? or cloudy?Have funxxxx

Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0296s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb