Goodbye to Hong Kong


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China
December 9th 2016
Published: December 11th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Now back in the UK. Yesterday in Hong Kong we took the open top bus tour to Stanley on the south side of Hong Kong Island. Stanley has a quiet market, a promenade by the sea and Murray House. Murray House was originally in Central, but was moved and rebuilt in Stanley. I'm afraid to say I didn't find it a particularly attractive building, but in Hong Kong preserving the old buildings is important because the vast majority of the building is modern after WWII. From the bus there were views over towards the South China Sea with its yachts and small islands. This part of Hong Kong is a very expensive place to live, even by Hong Kong standards. Next stop on the bus was Aberdeen. Historically Aberdeen was a fishing area, but it is now high rise living. The harbour includes Jumbo, not an elephant, but a famous floating restaurant. The sampan boat tours take you to see Jumbo, and another floating restaurant next door. The restaurants are huge and gaudy (from the outside). The sampan ride also takes you on a brief trip in the harbour which has a mix of fishing boats and posh yachts. Historically this was an area where very many people lived on the fishing boats. Some people still do, but the numbers are falling. The bus tour also included free entrance to the maritime museum, which has a large collection of model ships and art relating to maritime themes. There were good views from the museum out over the harbour, and a particularly good view from the museum cafe at the top where we had a cake break. In the museum the pictures of Hong Kong from the 1930s were interesting, very few of these buildings survive and the look of the harbour is now totally different. We took out last trip back on the Star Ferry and had an early summer at the shopping centre. This time it was Singaporean style cooking. Back at the hotel we used the "timeless lounge" for a short time before saying goodbye to Hong Kong.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0806s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb