Hold Tight - it's the Chinese Train Ticketing System


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China
April 14th 2010
Published: April 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Tianjin - Beijing TrainTianjin - Beijing TrainTianjin - Beijing Train

The holy grail of Chinese rail-based transportation.

Hold Tight - it's the Chinese Train Ticketing System



I would like to take a moment to explain the Chinese train ticketing system to you. Trying to understand it has become a pet hobby of mine.

There are several different types of trains in China. The best are the “T” trains, followed by “K”, “L”, "Y", "A", “V” and un-lettered trains (which typically take no less than 2 months to reach their destination). I say the best trains are the “T” trains, but actually that changed and now "Z" trains are the best. Actually I say "Z" trains are the best, that's now changed again and "D" trains are the best. Unless you're on the fast train between Beijing and Tianjin which has a class to its own. Or the Shanghai Maglev, which is also different. As an example the fastest train between Nanjing and Shanghai takes 2 hours. The slowest takes 8 and a half - at an average speed of 21mph.

For each type of train you can there are normally four types of ticket. Hard-seater (a bench with limited cushioning), soft-seater (comfier seats), hard-sleeper (six to a compartment) or soft-sleeper (four to a compartment) so there are 4 prices for each train. I say 4 but actually for the hard sleeper there are different prices depending on whether you get the top, middle or bottom bunk. For that matter there are also 2 different prices for soft sleepers. So actually there are 7. I say 7, but actually you can get standing tickets for some trains so there are 8. Oh but it also depends whether you go by night or day, so there are twice that. Also group discounts are available. And if you are between 1m and 1.3m tall you get 75% off. But if you're less than 1m tall you travel for free. Additionally "air-conditioned" trains come with a surcharge, though some trains classed as "non air-conditioned" actually have air-conditioning, but you don't pay the surcharge.

For instance, returning to our example, between Nanjing and Shanghai you can walk up and pay any one of 32 different prices (plus standing, group and height-dependent prices), ranging from 22RMB through to 162RMB. Not that a 162RMB ticket necessarily gets your there quicker than a 22RMB ticket.

You can only book a ticket from the place you are leaving from. So you have to hope when you get to your destination that there are return tickets available. If they are sold out then you are stuck in that destination, and your boss will be unhappy when you fail to make it to work on Monday morning. Actually I say you can't get return tickets but you can, but only on the D trains. And the Z trains. But only 20 days in advance. I say 20 days, but actually it's only 10 at times of public holidays. Which is the same as other trains. Actually I say the same as other trains - they are normally 10 days, but are actually only 5 at times of public holiday. Also you can't book online; you have to visit the station to discover the ticket you want is sold out. To stand any chance of getting a ticket at busy times you have to go on the day they are released, which means you have to take a day off work (don't forget to take your tape measure if you're vertically challenged). You can then stand in a massively chaotic queue, before finally pushing your way to the front in order to find out you are still too late and they’ve sold out regardless.

There are also buses in China, but they don't have accessible timetables.

Despite this I genuinely love Chinese trains. Once you’ve got your sweaty mitts on the ticket.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.613s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0592s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb