Just Follow Me!


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
China's flag
Asia » China
May 7th 2009
Saved: November 7th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We uploaded the first episode of “Just Follow Me” so it’s streaming online. We had to seriously shrink it in size so the quality was compromised but it was one gig so we had to squish it down. I hope you enjoy it! I especially like the mushy love song in the beginning and the techno country song at the end. They have the worst taste in Western music here. Episode 1

We filmed the third episode this morning at a playground where we taught “slide,” “swing” and “spin.” We learned a valuable lesson that it is impossible to actually teach children to say “swing” or “slide” when they are sitting on a swing or slide.

It took two months of living here but we’ve figured out the local grocery store puts all of the deli food on sale at 7:15 pm so we’ve been getting some massive dinners for about a $1. Tonight we rode our China bikes there in time for the frenzy (you have to use elbows to get to the counter at times). We grabbed some fried rice, some pastry things and a bag of meat, presumably duck or goose, since that’s what everyone in Yangzhou eats every day. Pork too. We rode home and sat down for dinner. Turned out our unidentifiable bag of not duck, goose or even pork but pig’s feet. We of course tried it but the problem with eating feet of any animal is the lack of meat. It’s usually just tough skin. Not my fave.

Our China bikes are turning into very China bikes. My bike is full on rusting because I rode it in the rain once. You’d think riding in the rain once wouldn’t rust it but the quality isn’t quite the same as it is at home. I still have very little left of anything that resembles a brake pad. We always park our bikes right outside the door of school but today Lizzy and Amanda told us we should park them inside so our tires don’t explode. It’s quite frightening, but apparently it gets hot enough here that bike tires explode (it was 80 degrees today). Something to look forward to. Bob’s bike no longer stands up on the kick stand but rather falls over all the time. It’s a simple gray color with no major marking on it, making it difficult to find in a mass of hundreds of parked bikes so he’s cured this problem by making his bike “the veggie bike” by sticking all sort of vegetable stickers on it.

Bob found some interesting history about Yangzhou online I feel is worth mentioning. First, the city itself is almost 2,500 years old. We visited a temple yesterday that is 1,500 years old. Marco Polo served as the governor of Yangzhou from 1282 to 1287. In 1645, Yangzhou had a ten-day massacre which is said to have killed 800,000 people. The ex-chairman of China was born in Yanzghou. The current chairman was also born in Yangzhou although some debate this. He was born in an area of Yangzhou that has recently segregated from Yangzhou to create its own town of Taizhou. Yangzhou claims he was born in Yangzhou. Taizhou claims he was born in Taizhou.

More to come later!


Additional photos below
Photos: 52, Displayed: 24


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom

Parade floatParade float
Parade float

Yangzhou hosted a flower festival and we stumbled on the set up for it.
Original bullet hole from a revolutionOriginal bullet hole from a revolution
Original bullet hole from a revolution

I'll remember the name as soon as I post this


Comments only available on published blogs

7th May 2009

meat sold in afternoon
hi lauren thanks for sharing your time in china.....when i read about the meat i thought about thailand. they do the same thing in the afternoon by selling all their meat much cheaper too....i just got my visa to move to thailand.... keep up your blog charles
7th May 2009

Veggie Bike
Once again you have made me laugh so much while reading your blog. The kids are so cute and I love seeing what you see when you go out exploring,. Keep it up! Love you guys!

Tot: 0.603s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 21; qc: 95; dbt: 0.0977s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb