China: Guangdong to Beijing


Advertisement
Asia » China
October 5th 2008
Published: January 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Traversing some 2000 miles overland, discovering China was an epical adventure. And yet staggeringly, we never left the east coast. Still so much of China to see, it's one of those destinations we quickly realised would require multiple return visits. China challenged. Flying in the face of so much of the rest of the world, English is not widely spoken. Not that in this I found cause for complain... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

The yellow caps!The yellow caps!
The yellow caps!

Domestic Chinese tour groups distinguish themselves by wearing different colours of hats. It was amusing watching them march round tourist attractions in their own little battalions.
Bikes are big in China!Bikes are big in China!
Bikes are big in China!

Pic taken in Nanjing



25th January 2009

the wrong impression
the idea of most Chinese ppl don't want to travel is wrong. Every year, tens of thousands of Chinese students go to study in Europe and US. Chinese and Indian students dominate in US graduate schools; another evidence is groups and groups of Chinese tourists in Europe, Japan, Thailand and US. They are everywhere, you can’t miss them...China is actually becoming world's largest market for tourism. There are just too many ppl wishing to travel or even live abroad.
26th January 2009

re: the wrong impression
Hi NYCKid. Thank you for leaving a comment. I have no doubt that a sizable section of Chinese students study abroad and that a respectable number of those who do excel in the institutions they attend. Moreover, having been travelling for 9 months, I have had the pleasure of engaging with many wayfaring folks, many of whom have been Chinese and indeed of those, many I now call friends. So I can personally vouch for the Yuan's mark on global tourism. If my entry has been taken to suggest gross indifference or insularity on the part of the Chinese, this was not my intent. My entry is an account of what I faced in China. Sadly, as it so happened and without any real exception, those I met while in China expressed no interest to travel beyond home frontiers. In fact, on more than one occasion, the suggestion of foreign travel was met with real disdain. Not once, not anywhere, have I ever encountered such an attitude. In my experience, the prospect of travel invariably excites. For the first time, I was actually pitied: that I didn't have a magnificent homeland like China, indeed so marvellous, that I wouldn't wish ever to leave! Such exposure, so out of the ordinary, had to make me wonder just how prevalent an opinion this was.

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0471s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb